Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi I am new here also

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

Hello, I figured I would introduce myself.  My name is Kristine I am a mom to three beautiful children two girls 11 & 8 and my son Jason who will be three in November.  Jason has developmental verbal speech dyspraxia he receives speech therapy four times a week.  We just entered him into headstart and he will start receiving his services through the school when he turns three in November.  I am really excited about him getting it at school because I think he will do better outside of the home environment he tends to get distracted here.  He is a really sweet little boy and is doing well despite his obstacles.  He somehow learns to get his point across and has a language all of his own.  I look forward to meeting more moms and am open up to any suggestions to help my son.
by on Sep. 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hdavis
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Hi! My son will be 3 in January and he has an expressive speech delay with an oral motor delay.  He understands every word you tell him, but has a hard time responding with words we understand.  He is improving but definitely had his moments of frustration.  Just thought we could get to know one another.

Heather

Jewellgurl_13
by Group Owner on Oct. 1, 2007 at 1:54 PM
Thank you for joining and welcome!!! I'm sorry I haven't  written sooner but I've been out of town and got in late last night. But welcome!!

Jewell

SkylarBlu
by Member on Oct. 2, 2007 at 2:49 PM
School is a great idea. My  son went for two yrs and my other son is in his second yr. Just tro let you know if you don't know already. They teach signs first to elimimnate frustation beacause they can't learn if they are frustated. I give the program here all the praise in the word. It is the best. You shpould be excited for him to start school. I am sure he will do well. If you have any questions about the program please don't be afriad to ask.
Thanks, Nicole
VickiB
by on Oct. 4, 2007 at 1:50 PM
Head Start is wonderful. My son has been going since Mid-August. He is mixed expressive/receptive speech and language delayed and he has made so much more progress in a short time than he ever has with just his speech therapy.  It's also really nice for him to have that peer interaction that he can't really get at home. I think it is the best decsion we have made for my son. Good Luck to both you and Jason when he starts. :0)

~VICKI B Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie4th Birthday Ticker

kleea1969
by on Oct. 4, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Quoting SkylarBlu:

School is a great idea. My  son went for two yrs and my other son is in his second yr. Just tro let you know if you don't know already. They teach signs first to elimimnate frustation beacause they can't learn if they are frustated. I give the program here all the praise in the word. It is the best. You shpould be excited for him to start school. I am sure he will do well. If you have any questions about the program please don't be afriad to ask.
Thanks, Nicole
He hasn't started the speech therapy through the school yet so I am not sure what will be in store for him regarding sign.  I have and his speech therapist have taught him some sign  but the truth is he knows how to get his point across without it or he makes his own signals up.  Pointing to his right hand means he wants to watch spongebob.  His teacher in headstart made him a little picture book so he could communicate with her.  I really was happy that she made the extra effort.  I can't wait for him to start therapy through the school I really  think I will begin to see more progress.  He doesn't want to do speech therapy at home any longer because he is so wore out from school all day.  His therapist works real hard with him and now we do a Saturday so we can at least get one day when he isn't tired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)