Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Please (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

My DS is 16 months old.  He has been evaluated as being at a 9 month old language level.  They have recommended that we get his hearing checked.  He has been sick on and off since October.  So they want to see if he has fluid on is ears.  He will begin speech therapy after this evaluation.   He is going in for the testing on this Thursday.  Any recommended questions that I should make sure to ask? 

CafeMom Tickers

Fall 2008 babies! Group Admin

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
usmcwifemom2
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM

just try to be patient. it's not easy taking a 16 month old to the ENT. i've been there. lexi did have fluid in her ears since 2 months of age, so bad that it completely blocked all sound in her left ear and muffled it in her right. she wouldn't turn her head left as an infant due to not being able to hear, i found as she got older it got more difficult to do the hearing tests! she did fine in the booth, nothing like you think it would be. you sit in there with him and he'll be on your lap and when he turns his head in the direction of the sound he'll get a visual reward, for my experience, there was a duck, sheep and a pig and the box they were in would light up and they would either walk or make the appropriate animal noises. so she loved that part, but hated the rest of it. the doc looking in her ears, putting the test stuff in her ears i had to pin her head still. it is to test the function of the ear drums. hers always came back not functioning. make sure you go to a pediatric ENT. the first one i went to with lexi was at the naval hospital and he said to me "oh i have to get my cheat sheet i don't ever get babies this young." so i got a second opinion off base and as soon as i walked in they said i can wait in the waiting room or wait in the playroom. so that put me at ease immediately!good luck!!

SHNIKE2
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Check with your pedi...see how many times your little one has had ear infections.

My story short: ENT said tubes, called my pedi, she only had one ear infection, although sick a lot, only 1 time was it in her ear, second opinion ENT pulled major wax out of her ear, gross lol...he said no tubes.  I think first ENT wanted a check from the insurance company, so why not tubes right....NOT!!!!!!

3krazekydz
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Quoting SHNIKE2:

Check with your pedi...see how many times your little one has had ear infections.

My story short: ENT said tubes, called my pedi, she only had one ear infection, although sick a lot, only 1 time was it in her ear, second opinion ENT pulled major wax out of her ear, gross lol...he said no tubes.  I think first ENT wanted a check from the insurance company, so why not tubes right....NOT!!!!!!

if your child has had 4 to 6 ear infections within so many months. then the dr should have referred you to the ENT. thats when we went. my baby girl has had fluid on her right ear for the longest time and has had infections on and off. the fluid has not moved or grown. the ENT that saw her said that as long as its not stopping her from talking or walking then there is no reason  for tubes. so we will go back in 6 months.

pretty much if you dont think that the ENTs diagnoses of your child is right or sounds funny then get a second opinion. IT NEVER HURTS.

Annette4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM

My son only had one known ear infection. I consulted an ENT (after telling m pedi I was going to do it) for tonsil/adenoid consult.  He discovered a double ear infection at his appt. No fever, no pain, no complaints!

3 weeks later he still had fluid!  Then we discovered he had a mid-line intermediate tongue tie. He could stick his tongue out, but not lift it properly.  My son had tonsil/adenoid/tubes/tongue-clip in one 45 minute procedure and has not stopped talking since!

Go with your gut... ask and push until YOU are satisfied!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)