Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frenulectomy Surgery!!!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 730 Total Views

I was wondering if anyone's children have had to have a frenulectomy? My 2yo son has a speech delay and was also diagnosed with a tight frenulum (slightly tongue-tied) at birth that still appears to be tight. His ENT doc recommends the surgery for him so that he won't have any physical limitations to speaking and making sounds but as his mom, I'm nervous about it because he'll have to be placed under general anesthesia for a short time. I'm told the procedure takes less than 10 minutes and he should be able to eat and drink like normal that same day. Have any of you gone through this and if so, did I help at all? I'm so conflicted about wanting to help him in anyway I can but I certainly don't want to put him through any surgery that's not going to be completely beneficial to him.  He's been in speech therapy for about 2 months and he's making a little progress. We work with him a lot at home too. Your thoughts and suggestions would be sooooo greatly appreciated! Thanks!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thetammy
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 4:30 AM

my son doesnt have this but i have a nephew who had to have it done, he started speaking better right away. it worked wonders!

mom2tori12
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Both my girls had it done for being tongue tied. My oldest had it done at 18 months old under general anethsia and all. The operation was very quick took longer for her to wake up from general than to have the actual surgery. Afterwards I think it hurt very little, ate, drank even sucked on her binky. Did find a some blood on her pillow the next morning that's it. She wasn't speech delayed at the time and still isn't. I did it because my ent recommended it, i did research on it, found it was a quick and easy operation and I just didn't see the point in waiting for it to be a problem.  Ironically, my youngest daughter had hers clipped at 3 weeks old right in the dr's office, no anethsia or anything she didn't even cry. And she is the one who is speech delayed.  I still think she would have even more problems if I didn't do it though.  I would have them both done again in a heartbeat. hth

venus_harris
by Member on Jun. 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Thanks so much for your replies. It helps to hear it from Moms and not just the doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
l_to_the_e
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:14 PM

my 6 month old daughter had it done about 2 months ago. it went well and has dramatically improved her nursing. obviously she doesn't speak yet (it's my son who has the delay) but one of the reasons her ENT recommended immediate surgery was to prevent any speech problems later down the road. yes it hurts, but the swelling goes down within 2 days and the pain was well managed with tylenol and motrin. the mouth heals very quickly, so there is really very little opportunity for things like infections.

sayres
by Member on Jun. 21, 2010 at 6:52 AM
My son had this done at 14 months. He was back to normal by the next day. It helped with his eating but not with his speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annette4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

My second son had his done at 2 weeks in the doc's office. Just a quick snip and done. My last son had his done last summer along with tonsil/adenoids/tubes.  He had an intermediate mid-line tie (half way back and very tight) the ENT said it was good we found it before the other surgeries, and he incorporated the procedure in with the others.

My son's tongue was sore for a couple of days (midline tie, not at the tip remember) but he was fine pretty quickly, and yes, it was IMMEDIATE improvement in some words.  We are still working on the words that were learned incorrectly, but they are higher difficult sounds anyway (L and S).

Best of luck! It's an easy procedure, and if the ENT recommends it, do it! (if you have time to check out ortho surgeons, some will do it in the office with a local.. my friend's son in Ohio had this done when he was 3).

~Annette ~ Supermom of 4~
Group Owner- Children With Speech Delays!

Group Owner- Pre-Menopausal Mommies

$$ me2everyone $$
We are going Live!

How people treat you is their Karma, how you react is yours. -Wayne Dyer

PDXShelly
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM
Hi - My son had it done at 5 days old because he wasn't nursing well due to a tight frenulum. He cried for like 30 seconds and then fell asleep in my arms.
Merrydish78
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM

One of my family members has had the surgery and it worked for him but 2 others didn't and they are fine. The one who had the surgery had a lot of pain and still needed speech therapy, my daughter might be tougue-tied too but i don't wanna do it unless as a last resort. It seems like a painful surgery by witnessing my lil nephew,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)