Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on my father

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 857 Total Views
So Friday night at 7pm my dad drove himself to the hospital with severe chest pains.10 Am Saturday morning the hospital he was at faxed his EKG's over to the other hospitals cardiologist and tells us that we should hear back from him in an hour or two. Before he even finishes the sentence the cardiologist is on the phone asking them why they didn't transfer my father to the other hospital last night, and telling them that he needs to be transported immediately to the bigger hospital. So they finally do. The second he gets wheeled into hospital 2, he is rushed to the operating room and run a stint through his arterie to unblock it. After words they wait to see how he's recovering before they decide whether or not to run a stint through the other arterie that's blocked. My dad is a very stubborn man who hates hospitals, doctors, and everything to do with them, so needless to say the nurse's had their hands full. When he arrived at the first hospital his blood pressure was 245 over 180. The nurse told him that at 240 your dead. They got it back down to almost normal before transporting him. When he arrived at the second hospital his blood pressure was back up to 215. So all day Saturday he was under close watch. I got home from the hospital Saturday night at 4 in the morning and went to bed about 4:30 am. At 7:30 this morning I'm woken up to my dad calling me telling me to bring him his clothes that there was no way in hell he was going to stay there. Now keep in mind, if he leaves there's a high chance that he'll die. So I go to the hospital in time to talk to my dad and the doctor. Well apparently after he had his stint he was getting up when the doctor told him not too and it caused blood to shoot out from where they put the stint in and most of the blood got trapped under the skin. Well this morning when he went to take his morning pee, his penis and the area around it was DARRKKK purple and badly bruised from the stint. He freaked out screaming and asking them what the hell they did to him. And decided he'd rather be dead than have a mangled penis. So I got the doctor in there to talk to him and reassure him that the bruises would go away. So he agreed to stay in the hospital and may be released tomorrow. But here's the thing, the other artery that's clogged, is inopperable because it's clogged so tight that they can't get a stint in and the only way to fix it would be to do open heart surgery. So there just gonna let it go for now, but atleast he knows about it so if he has chest pains in the future he can go back to the E.R and have the operation done then. So this makes me extremely worried because my dad lives on his own in an R.V  and has been planning on taking a trip to Nevada next week and is still going.  He is sooo stubborn and selfish!!! But at the same time I understand his point. He now knows that he doesn't have much time left and there's places he's always wanted to see and visit, so now he really wants to go, but I'm afraid that something will happen while he's driving by himself across the country. There's nothing I can do, but does anybody have any words or advice that might help me feel better about him going?

by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SkylarBlu
by Member on Oct. 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM
I am sorry you are going through such an ordeal. I hope your Father is doing well now. Get him a cell phone and ask him to call you. Plus you have to realize he is a grown man you might not like what he is doing and I would be scared too. However he is grown. I will say a prayer for him amd ask my mom to as well. I would see what else you can do to stay in contact with him. Call him or maybe see if he will wait alittle longer too.
angelshanin2002
by Member on Oct. 29, 2007 at 10:25 PM
I totally agree with you.  I could not have said it any better myself.
Quoting SkylarBlu:

I am sorry you are going through such an ordeal. I hope your Father is doing well now. Get him a cell phone and ask him to call you. Plus you have to realize he is a grown man you might not like what he is doing and I would be scared too. However he is grown. I will say a prayer for him amd ask my mom to as well. I would see what else you can do to stay in contact with him. Call him or maybe see if he will wait alittle longer too.

gundermom
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM
I am really sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. My husband's father died 2 years ago after going through kidney failure, kidney transplant, several heat attacks, open heart surgery, about 60 blood transfusions and finally cancer of the stomach and intestines. All of this over a period of about 20 years. It definitely affects every ones life. My husband drove an hour to Boston each day after work for about a month after his father had open heart surgery, When he was on dialysis when my husband was a kid, he took the whole family in an RV a drove around Maine and Canada for about 2 months because he wasn't sure if he was going to get a transplant at that point. And my poor mother-in-law dedicated her life to caring for him, keeping meticulous records on every thing every doctor ever told him, did to him, or prescribed him.  There were a couple of times we almost changed vacation plans because of his health, but in the end we decided to go through with our plans. This was also the case for my in-laws.  And of course, my father-in-law was a difficult patient himself, and released himself a couple of times. And for a religious man, he certainly did his share of swearing while in the hospital. For about the last 5 or 6 month of his life, he could barley walk, he was so weak, but refused a  wheel chair and only used his walker when he was desperate.

But during it all, everyone just had to live their life as normal. My oldest so was born only 4 months before his grandfather passed away so we were just sure to get plenty of pictures of the two of them together and we were sure to be there to help whenever we could be. We did get them a cell-phone as was suggested and I'm glad that we did. My mother-in-law worked during the day and I was working randomly, as I worked at a hotel, so I would check on him when I could and even once found him passed out in the bathroom. But there s only so much you can do. If you can't afford a cell phone for him and if he doesn't have one of his own get calling cards and make sure his car is serviced. Also, (And I'm not sure about this) but I think any cell phone with a charged battery can call 911 even if the phone is not activated. Other that, tell him to have fun on his vaca.

Good luck!

cfrabbitry04
by Member on May. 25, 2008 at 6:56 PM

since it's a been a few month hope you Father is doing ok and came back from his trip just fine!!! I don't get on here very much didn't realize your the owner to this group that cool!!!

hope to here good news

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN