Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really!?!?!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 433 Total Views
Ladies my dd pedi is on maternity leave and her fill in is a piece of work. He thinks that dd having a speech delay is NOT a disability! He pissed me off so much. She needs him to sign a release form so she can do an activity for disabled people but he's not getting justification. Ugh just cause ur a dr don't mean u ain't stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sayres
by Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM
So sorry! Is your DD seen by a developmental ped or a Nuerologist? Could they fill out the document? Do you have a name for your DD speech delay? Like verbal apraxia or something? Maybe your DD's speech therapist could write a letter to the dr explaining how this is a disability for your DD. Perhaps if you educate the dr he will sign the document. How frustrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gooftroop070910
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Well dd case worker has called him telling him how benificial this particular event helps children with speech delays. He's the type of dr who knows everything and you know nothing. No matter how many kids u have u don't know anything. I don't care for him but until her pedi comes back i have to deal. She has a speech therapist thru preschool that we might have explain to him but idk if he'd even care. Sounds like to me unless its a physical disability he can see then he don't consider it a disability. Idk anymore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyToddlerMom
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I would switch pediatricians until yours comes back. You shouldn't have to deal with being treated like an idiot. That is unacceptable.

gooftroop070910
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Unfortunately they wont let me switch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyToddlerMom
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Why won't they let you switch? Are you on Medicaid or a certain insurance? Are you in the US? If you are in the US and not on Medicaid (and maybe even if you are) I would be calling some 1-800 numbers and chewing some people out! You're telling me I have to see a certain doctor? Think again, buddy. This isn't China, I'll see whoever I darn well please. (Sorry, there I go being momma bear again. I just hate it when people are stupid and it affects kids)

gooftroop070910
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Well they don't allow u to switch dr that are in the same office. And we have one of the greatest ones. Its just her stupid fill in. Yes i actually live in missouri. Our case worker as been with BCFR for 9-1/2 years and deals with dr's all the time and this has never happened. She actually sees the same dr as my kids. So this fill in pissed her off too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinarob
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I know this is an old post BUT is that how you get a name for the speech delay, is to go through a developmental ped. or Neurologist? My son doesn't have a name for his....he is going to speech therapy but they haven't given me a name at all. The only reason they've ever brought up a developmental ped is to see if he would qualify for benefits...but I'm not concerned with benefits and so since his ped. and speech therapist didn't suggest developmental ped. I'm not pushing for it. If either ever suggested that he needs to see one by all means I'll do it. 

Quoting sayres:

So sorry! Is your DD seen by a developmental ped or a Nuerologist? Could they fill out the document? Do you have a name for your DD speech delay? Like verbal apraxia or something? Maybe your DD's speech therapist could write a letter to the dr explaining how this is a disability for your DD. Perhaps if you educate the dr he will sign the document. How frustrating!

sayres
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Quoting tinarob:

It depends. If your child is seeing a speech therapist through EI (early intervention) the therapist is not allowed to make a diagnosis (at least this is the rule in my state). So you would need to take your child to a private therapist or to a developmental ped or neurologist to get a dx. In our case the dx helped once we went to our local school system and tried to get services. It was very helpful having the doctor's information.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)