Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there any way to get my 5 year old back in speech after testing out??

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 666 Total Views

My daughter was a toddler when I first joined this group.   This is a long story, and I apologize in advance. I also thank those who read this and respond as I really need your help. My 5 year old daughter has been receiving speech therapy since she was 3 for severe articulation. Granted, she has come a long long way since then, and she just recently tested out of speech according to the educational co-op. I had her re-evaluated at Arkansas Children's Hospital (where she was first evaluated). She also tested out there according to medicaid's guidelines, however, the therapist who evaluated her told us that she would really benefit from continued therapy. However, medicaid will not pay for it, and we would have to pay for it out of pocket. Trust me, if I was rich and had the money, there would be no questions. Reality is, we are not rich and there's no way we can pay it. We still have difficulty understanding her at times. My parents, and other people have difficulty understanding her as well. I am concerned for her when she starts kindergarten in a few months. I really do believe if she could continue therapy throughout kindergarten, it would do her wonders. I feel stuck and helpless, and I can't believe there's no way to qualify these kids for the help they need exspecially when a therapist says they need it regardless of the test results. Is there a way I can fight this? Is there anything at all I can do? Thanks to all who read this and respond and for any help, wisdom, insight, etc, you can provide me and my husband!

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM
I'm in the same situation. My son tested out of Early Intervention and Child Search has refused twice to test him. I had him privately evaluated and he came out with severe articulation delay and mild/moderate language delay. When I registered him for K, I gave the principal a copy of the evaluation and she is trying to get him services. She was talking about getting him either Other Health Impaired (he has some health problems) or developmentally delayed. I'm not sure I care for that label especially since she started talking about putting him in resource because his speech is poor. I just want him identified speech/language delayed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Malley... I don't like labels either.   I taught special education for 7 years, and I am here to tell you just because a child has speech problems does not mean that he or she needs to be referred for special education.  Sometimes they do need both, but often they just need speech therapy.   At this point, I think that's all my daughter needs is speech therapy, and I don't want her labeled anything else.  I hope when she is re-evaluated at the beginning of the school year that I can get her some additional help.  I am documenting conversations of hers in hopes that will help.  Good luck with your son... I really hope it all works out and he gets what he needs.  Please keep me posted!! 

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM
I am a teacher too, and I agree with you. I told the principal I will refuse to put him in resource. If he struggles that much, I'd rather homeschool him.

We actually got good news today. He was approved to get speech which will be paid for by our insurance because it is based on a medical condition.He goes for the evaluation Tuesday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Ok these are great questions and frustrating situations for parents to be in.  I have worked as an SLP in the educational setting as well as hosptial and private practice and there is a difference in qualifications inside and outside of the academic environment.

In the school setting (as you are both teachers you probably know) a child MUST not only be delayed (according to whatever district standards were determined...most often standarized tests, sometimes, functionally/clinically via observation, etc.) but must ALSO prove that this delay has an academic inpact (most of the time articulation itself is considered an academic inpact if a child can't effectively communicate with peers and/or adults etc.).  Therefore, there are times a child can be identified as having a delay in private or hospital setting but NOT in the school setting (these are typically mild articulation cases that have some unresolved sound substitutions for example).

With that said I have NEVER heard of a child who has only been tested by an SLP and determined to have an articulation and language delay to be identified as anything OTHER than speech and language delayed (as for developmental delay there should be other deficits in cognition, problem solving, preacadmic skills, etc....tested by a special education teacher, psychologist, etc. depending on age of course) ...(other health impaired is actually for a MEDICAL diagnosis  (such as ADHD, uncommon syndromes, etc.) that do not fall under any of the other determined federal categories...speech and language delay has its own category therefore should never be labeled alternately UNLESS at some point this delay is so signficiant it is affecting other academic areas...which you won't know or have enough data at such young ages).

I hope you are following me so far.

So the question is what can you do?  Well you can do a few things...

1.  you can take your testing information into the K speech therapist in the beginning of the year to show your child's delay (however it is NOT required that schools accept outside testing...they can do their own testing if they so choose).

2.  You can ask the K SLP to screen your child as you are concerned about (articulation, language, etc.)...

3.  you can make a written request to have your child tested in the academic teachers you probably know how well that goes I would use that as a last resort if possible

4.  the most important thing is you want to come into meetings prepared with real child can say this but not this.  She can't say "k" at the ends of words or leaves out middle sounds, etc.  Be as specific as possible b/c it will help the SLP determine IF the types of misarticulations are atypical.  also if your child can or cannot model sounds after you say them is important information for a therapist to know.  How understandable is he/she (to grandparents...they can understand...50%, 70%, etc. of what he/she says)?  As mom I can only understand him/her __% of the time,or maybe when he/she uses single words or short sentences  (maybe longer sentences, or words with multiple syllables are more difficult to understand).  Really pay attention to your child's speech adn write down what you observe!  This lets the SLP know some crucial info as well as how serious you are at helping your child at home (this will NOT change your child's eligibility of course but will make a therapist more willing to work with you) know how it goes good working relationship. 

If you issue is the label, I wouldn't pass up speech therapy services if they are offering the label of DD (developomental delay) b/c DD does not exist beyond the age of 9 (federally ) in many districts age 8 so yoru child would have to be re-evaluated and labeled differently to continue services or dismissed from services by that point.  there might be some additional assistance the sped department feels they can give your child especially if there is a language delay at this early stage to speed up the progress.  its not necessarily a bad thing as long as your sped teacher knows what they heck they are talking about.  I've worked with great sped teachers and well others. so you do have to be proactive for sure.  And you need to determine what is acceptable for you as a family.

ALSO schools are actually getting funded for speech therapy (as well as PT, and OT) services delivered in the school system that are medicaide eligible (what that means is, if your child qualifies for medicaide, but it won't "cover" private speech therapy, the school district can actually provide speech therapy and get reimbursed by medicade for these services!.  Directors of special education LOVE these kinds of kids b/c it gives there department more money to work with.  therapists tend to get bogged down by extra paperwork BUT if it can get you child into speech therapy...that may be worth mentioning.  (toodlebug I know you said your child doesn't qualify for medicade but I put this in there incase someone who does reads this might and this info might help them).

In the meantime... I love, love, love the website Mommy Speech Therapy at  Heidi, the SLP that runs the sight, has GREAT resources and a WONDERFUL way of teaching parents the Process of Articulation and how you can help practice with your child at home.  It is really written for the parents who can't get speech therapy or want to supplement what their own child are already getting.  So informative! YOU will surprise yourself at how much you can learn and help your child without having a speech therapist present!

Also you can visit my blog: I have a few blogs about language developoment, ways to elicit language growth and teach specific skills such as answering WH?s.  I am always adding more information.  It just depends on what ?s parents have for me...that's how I decide to write the blogs.

You can also follow me on facebook at!/CommunicationStationSpeechTherapyPllc to find FREE parent resources, tips, activities, etc. to help improve your child's speech and language. 

Good luck!  Be proactive but NOT pushy!  Express your fears for your child without your frustration and anger and you will get much farther than if you walk in that school guns blazing!  I hope it all works out for you!

by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM

What kind of relationship do you have with your PCP? Would they be willing to write you a referral for private speech in such a way that it is covered by Medicaid?

My son recently tested out of ECI as well... Clearly it's a theme in this group! However, in the discharge summary the therapist noted that he would benefit from continued therapy in a few specific areas. I shared this discharge with our PCP, along with the most recent evaluation. Based on that information, and on our ongoing relationship with the doctor's office, they were willing to write a referral that allows us to continue accessing speech privately but covered by Medicaid.

It sounds like you already have a clear sense of what Medicaid will and won't cover... Have you spoken with them directly? When it first became evident that my son was testing out, I called and asked for all of the specifics about how to have private speech covered. Then I went back to the doctors and therapists with that information, and we collaborated to make it happen.

GL! It also sounds like you may have some good options accessing speech through your school... My son has one more year before K, so I don't know much about the elementary public system yet. I'm definitely paying close attention, though!

by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM

 I was finally able to get my insurance to cover my son's speech therapy. It took two years, but I was able to prove his problem stemmed from a medical issue with his tongue that he was born with. My son saw a team of 8 specialists at a craniofacial team clinic and that was how it was determined. He is receiving therapy at a rehab center. Maybe you can get some documentation from her dentist, ENT, etc, and see if the decision can be appealed. He had his kindergarten placement test last week and I was allowed to sit in to interpret his responses. For example, she asked him what is the opposite of boy and he said "dirl". I told her that he did say girl, and she had him say girl for her to verify that is how he says it. I don't know if your dd's teacher would allow that as I suspect his teacher just did it as a professional courtesy to me, but it doesn't hurt to ask.


by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM

beebop1..WOW!  Thanks so much for your whole response.  It was very very helpful.  I will be pursuing her speech as soon as she has her tonsils and aednoids out in a few weeks.   I appreciate all the responses..everything is helpful.  Thanks again!

by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Call around. My daughter gets it at school because she still qualifies, but I wanted additional and my insurance doesnt cover it. I found a childrens rehab place that bases the price of service off of your income to figure out what you can afford.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)