Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VERY EXCITED

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 377 Total Views

To have found this group! I'm so excited to share with other ladies that have kid(s) with Speech Delays. I'm hoping to share experiences and learn new tools from you all. Let me give you a quick background. I have 3 and a half year old boy/girl twins. My daughter is a chatter box, and Carter, her twin is complete opposite. I've voiced my concerns at almost 2yrs old and I was told he was being stubborn basically, come 2&1/2 I was told he'd be evaluated for speech. He was evaluated and has been in speech since April of this yr. I can see an improvement. He's using more words, but still very silent. He uses them as he pleases LOL.  He goes to speech once a week, my question is what things do you all do with your kid(s)  to help them along, any specific games, flash cards...anything of that sort? thanks for your time

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sayres
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Welcome to the group. My ds has a speech disorder called apraxia. So,the things I do may be more extreme. He receives speech twice a week at school and twice a week privately. We do oral motor exercises that focus on improving his articulation. We make him talk. What I mean is our son got use to asking for something by using as few words as he could. So he would say "I want that thing.". Instead we made him tell us what specifically he wanted. We request that he speak in full sentences.

I would ask your son's therapist for son ideas on ways you could work with him at home.
tinarob
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I have and she tells me the very basic like for example, She's working on his colors and will tell us give him a crayon at a time and talk about the color. Or if he brings me a cup have him say cup too. I'm thinking about switching to another office because I want an in depth report on my son and I'm just not getting it. I'll ask how he's doing and she'll say he's repeating more and trying more and I already know he can repeat lol I told her that! Ya know. If I ask her professional opinion on why he may not be able to speak too much she says She's not a development therapist and if I want I can request one but he's very receptive and she sees only speech as an issue. Idk maybe I'm expecting toooooo much. Thank-you for your reply =D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM
I tend to work with him on the same things at home that they're focusing on in therapy. It really helps to reinforce.

You can do a lot in casual play, speaking clearly and slowly and labeling EVERYTHING. Ask him to repeat things back to you. Make it a game (who can find the red car first?) or play a game together... Hi Ho Cherry O and Candyland are both good color games. You can also model simple phrases like "my turn" and "your turn", etc.

I have found that day-to-day progress sometimes feels slow, but you see success over time as you focus on one or two skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nenedawn
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM
we dont alot at home on purpose really. we read together and if we come across a sound he has trouble with then i have him repeat it or if he says something that takes me forever to figure out then when i do get it right we practice pronouncing it. thats the extent of workin at home. he goes to speech twice a week and has improved a ton. but he has a lot of trouble pronouncing still
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EllianasMama
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Singing,helped my daughter! She loved it. Also, to eat, give a choice on a snack...do you want the cracker or the apple? Encourage him to answer. Do you want one or two pieces? Tryand get an answer. Then repeat back : ok, you want two pretzels! Things like that will help. In the car, i would turn my rearview mirror so we could see each other (shhhh....!) and make silly noises for her to mimmick. Just make talking fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)