Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Group. Mommy of a 2 1/2 year old with speech delay.

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 776 Total Views
3 moms liked this

Hi all. I joined Cafe Mom in an effort to educate myself more and maybe help with what I'm learning as well. I have a beautiful, intelligent, sweet two and half year old son who is currently receving therapy in everything, but is lacking most in speech. At 2 1/2 years old he has no words. Recently (in the past six weeks) we have made HUGE improvements and he is now mimicking about half a dozen animal sounds. For a Mom who has never heard her child speak a word, this is a HUGE milestone! My son has been receving outside therapy six times a week since his second birthday. The change in my child is remarkable! I cannot stress enough that EARLY INTERVENTION is key! You will have to jump through hoops and climb mountains, but it is SO worth it! In February (his second birthday) he had no communication, no social skills, an inability to sit still or concentarte or finish tasks, little motor skills, couldn't complete puzzles or shape sorters. He has now mastered EVERYTHING! He tested out of OT and PT in less than six months. He is now being enrolled into a developmental day care (after eight months of outside therpay) in an effort to give him the social skills he needs and hopefully encourage speech. Since starting therapy he now communicates via sign language, PECS, or two consanant sounds like baba or mama.

I'd love to hear from any other Moms who have children with little or few words. Pass along any ideas! Anyone interested in help with early intervnetion, message me! I am here to help. :)

bow down

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malley
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM
That is so awesome! My son is 5 now and went through early intervention and gets private speech therapy now. It's so exciting when you see progress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyManMommy
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM
How is his progress at age five???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopinforanother
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My son had 12 words at 2.5. Now at age 3 he says sentences! Speech Therapy works!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CofferLuver1617
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Aww that's great I also have a 2 yr old boy who is also non verbal & sounds alot like your lil one. He does in home therapy 6 Times a week & has made mass improvements in 6 months. sounds like we could be friends love you sign

Dixie171
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Hi there! My 2 1/2yr. old won't even mimic sounds. Totally healthy, except in her speech. Any hints on how you got animal sounds out of your baby boy?

Carol691780
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Hi! I just read your post about your toddler.  Glad that he's doing better. My little boy turned 2 this past February and has a mixed speech delay. We started speech therapy with early interventions. It hasn't helped much yet but I'm hoping it will soon. I was wondering if your son had delays in both his receptive and expressive speech like my son and wondering how far along your son has come. I'd greatly appreciate a reply as I'm getting very worried and hopeless. Thank you!!!

caribear77
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
My dd is 3. She uses signs to communicate. Congrats on his progress! We do ST, OT, & sign lessons.
caribear77
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
He is still young hang in there! Have u tried signing with your son? It has helped my daughter. She doesnt speak But signs so its been awesome to know her thoughts in some form. My dd has good receptive But poor expressive compared to peers. Our expressive has gotten way Better since signing. It took her alittle bit To use them but shes much better with it Now.

Quoting Carol691780:

Hi! I just read your post about your toddler.  Glad that he's doing better. My little boy turned 2 this past February and has a mixed speech delay. We started speech therapy with early interventions. It hasn't helped much yet but I'm hoping it will soon. I was wondering if your son had delays in both his receptive and expressive speech like my son and wondering how far along your son has come. I'd greatly appreciate a reply as I'm getting very worried and hopeless. Thank you!!!

VanillaSprinkle
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome ! My youngest son is the same age and doesn't talk either. He will say ball or car now and again but that's it. Been in ST and starting OT as well soon :) Best wishes.

opinionatedmom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM
My son had 20 words at 3 1/2. Take him to an ent to rule out hearing problems. The things you are describing is normal for hoh kids. If you have questions on hearing problems pm me. The only thing that yours does that mine didn't do is inability to concentrate. So check into autism on that. Or ADHD.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)