Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi everyone I'm new to the group

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:26 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

Hello everyone,

My name is Angie. I have two children, Leo who is going to be 2 feb 2nd. and Renate who is 8 yrs old.

Both of my children have speech delays. With Leo I am teaching him signs so he can communicate. He is extremely bright but he won't talk. He says other than mom and dad maybe 3-4 words. Renates became noticable at about age 4 and has gotten worse. I was unable to get anyone to address it until this year in school. She is above average academically and very creatively talented, however the speech delay has caused a huge problem with social relationships for her at school and even with some of the younger family members. At times it takes her 5 minutes or more to get out a sentence. other times its a minute or so. Its as if she has what she is trying to say in her mind but the actual part of communicating it doesn't happen. And if she gets upset frustrated she can't speak at all. I don't know how to prevent this from happening to Leo. Has anyone else experienced something similar or heard of it happening before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks shrugging

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Welcome. Does your daughter see a speech therapist? Would that person be willing to evaluate your son? Though I will say that for not quite 2, he's not really sounding that delayed.

I'm not familiar with this type of delay that your daughter is dealing with, but hopefully someone else here can help... I know that something you have to keep pushing and calling and looking around to get services for your child, but it can make such a difference. Don't be afraid to contact a private agency if the school district is no help...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
super_samurai
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Thank you for the advice. I was finally able to get somewhere with the school district after contacting an advocate. It turns out that her issues are considered to be studdering. The breathing and body movements all related. So we have a speech therapist now through the school and an IEP. I made sure to get a copy of the rights and rules of the program as well. As for Leo, it seems that it's all a matter of opinion about whether or not he is behind. I hear different things from his medical team, and from WIC. Some say he is behind and some say he is not. So I am monitoring his progress and working with him so far he is doing much better. Last week actually out of no where he started speaking not just single words but sentences. I think he will be fine. Again thanks for the advice and support.you rock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)