Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for dealing with ECI

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 257 Total Views

So my son tested out of speech with ECI last spring, and has been in private clinical speech ever since. It's very frustrating to see him do almost anything asked in the clinical setting, but then not have that carry over to school or home or everyday life without a significant amount of prompting. I know it has been difficult for his teachers this year, particularly with intelligibility issues.

At any rate, it was recently identified by the preschool and pediatrician that he also has some fine motor delays. We asked ECI to come out and do a screening for possible OT along with the speech, recognizing that two areas of delay means that the threshold to receive services is lower. They would like to do a full speech eval, and possibly put some providers in the classroom with him.

I am in support of that, but I don't want to lose our process with our private speech for the summer and testing for K in the fall. The private speech therapist suggested not having ECI access our insurance, as it is supposed to be a free service. That way the insurance will continue to cover our work/evaluations with private speech, and dept of ed can cover ECI.

Has anyone ever done both private and ECI services at the same time? Any thoughts/experiences on how to make that work with insurance, reimbursement, etc? TIA for any help...

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
1girl2babyboys
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM

My 2 year old son is also in ECI. From what I understand it when he turns 3 he will no longer be able to participate in ECI and ECI will transition him to the school district where he'll be attending school.  He will get help through the school district and from what ECI tells me he will also be able to get services from a private provider at the same time.

opinionatedmom
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Let eci get one visit for an evaluation only.you can allow all services except speech. You have total control over what is and isn't allowed. Test for everything is what I was advised to do. This means hearing speech ot psychological and everything. That way you qualify for more services than just speech. Mine is out of ppcd and going into mainstream next year with a very strict iep. With him having hearing loss at any time I feel it is need I can put him in total communication which means basically a class that signs talks used picture boards and fm.just because they offer speech doesn't mean you have to take it. Get a full evaluation and get him qualified by something warr and refuse their speech. He will probably only get an hour a week with eci if you went that route anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)