Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 23 month old isn't talking.....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:57 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

My son will turn 2 on Feb. 17 and he only says about  10 words tops.  I don't know if its because his older brother (4 yrs old) talks for him or if I should be a little more woried about this.

He'll say ....

mama

dada

pop

momo

baby

nite-nite

and he dosen't  really say drink cause he won't open his mouth st say it but he grunts it.

So what does everyone else think, should I be worried?

Thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
wranglergirl9
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Hi & Welcome to the Group,

I'm not a Dr. or Therapist but I think it would not hurt to have him evaluated for a speech delay.  You should go and check out one of our Group moms Annettes home page and journal posts to go to the site Teach me to talk!  There are some great journals about that website, fish oil, etc. and they could help you answer some of your questions!  We have all been there in this group and know what you are feeling and going through, my son just turned 3 Jan. 12th and a year ago he was where your son was if not a little less. now he can say over 150 words!  It can be done!  Does he point or gesture when he does want something?  Good luck mama! ~Hugs~

~Debbie~

Annette4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Hi and welcome! Your son sounds a lot like my son at that age, except my son had 25+ words at 18 mos and lost them somewhere around 20 mos.  Check out my journal post about fish oil. It has a lot of our story in it, and what we did to get Jake talking. He is saying 4+ word sentences (still a lot of 2-3 word ones) but he is asking questions now and answering them too! It's amazing! He just turned 3 in December.

I had him evaluated by a private speech therapy service in our area. My pedi didn't think Jake had a language delay (or autism as it appeared to me since he had so many red flags) so I forged forward on my own. I am glad I did.  Not necessarily for the sake of the therapist, they really didn't do much for him, but they helped ME!  I learned how to teach my own child through my drive to find better. I researched techniques and therapy activites and learned how to get the words flowing mostly from teachmetotalk.com. There are tons of articles that address each side of a language delay. Remember, receptive language is most important in order to get his understanding of language in order to communicate it. If he doesn't understand what you are saying, how can he say it?

I ended up taking over the therapy sessions, because the therapist just wasn't keeping Jake engaged and I didn't feel he was advancing like he should. It helped to have the therapist around to tell me how much he was improving due to my efforts. It was my biggest motivation, my drive to succeed and get my boy talking!

I also am a firm believer in fish oil supplements (please read my journal post again, as not ALL fish oil supplements are the same; some won't give you noticable results at all).  Also, check out my rsource list on my home page. I have several websites, activities, DVDs, toys... you name it, listed to help you along.  We had our first success with Baby Babble DVDs Vol1 and Vol2.  Also, the teachmetotalk DVDs really helped a lot in teaching ME how to work with my child!

Take things a step at a time, and educate yourself on how to do this. You have 24/7 access, and can be his best teacher. I'm not saying don't seek therapy, you may get a good one, but don't rely on the therapist to make miracles happen.  Be patient, be involved and don't forget to enjoy him for who he is!

Ask me anyting, and I'll try to steer you in the right direction. Oh, and check out my group Children With Speech Delays. I have a weekly activity, opportunities to brag and admire your child's successes!  I hope to see you around!

twinflana
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I agree that it wouldnt hurt to have him evaluated.  However, I have seen from experience where a younger child does not talk because the older sibling is talking for him.  Does your son point to things he wants and then your older son tells you what he wants or gets it for him?  If so just tell your older son that he needs to let his sibling talk for himself.  It might take a little time but normally it works amazingly.

My son is also 23 months (bday is 2/25) and he has only about 10 words but he is adding words daily and I am really hoping that he catches up soon.

ALauren
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Quoting twinflana:

I agree that it wouldnt hurt to have him evaluated.  However, I have seen from experience where a younger child does not talk because the older sibling is talking for him.  Does your son point to things he wants and then your older son tells you what he wants or gets it for him?  If so just tell your older son that he needs to let his sibling talk for himself.  It might take a little time but normally it works amazingly.

My son is also 23 months (bday is 2/25) and he has only about 10 words but he is adding words daily and I am really hoping that he catches up soon.

yes my older son normally talks for him, even if James doesn't point at things.  Example if we stop at the gas station for a drink on the way some where my oldest will say "James wants..." .  So I will try this and hopefully it will make him talk more, he turns 2 on 2/17 and i is just a little bothersome.  My oldest had a very full vocab by now and since James hardly talks it just worries me a little.  Thanks though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)