Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2 year old says no words

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 2025 Total Views

my daughter just turned 2 and is not yet talking. she doesnt say any words but has her own "words" for a few things that i can understand. she just started speech therapy a few weeks ago. im so frustrated and i feel so alone in this situation because it seems like all other kids her age talk and i dont want her to feel left when she goes places like the park. i know she gets frustrated because she cant talk and so do i. i want to help her but it just doesnt seem like shes interested. shes been tested and it isnt autism. i would really like to talk to someone who is in the same situation.

help :/

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetshawney
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I am in a similar boat.  My little guy is 27 months and doesn't have any words.  He HAS SAID words, but he doesn't use them.  He, however, was recently diagnosed with autism.  But I do know what you mean in regards to frustration and activites such as the park.  Alex's autism is pretty mild and I wouldn't be surprised if he outgrows the diagnosis.  Has she started sign language?  That has helped us A LOT!  This is a good group, you will get lots of advice and words of encouragement!

5ofusnow
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:21 PM

My daughter has been in early intervention for 4 weeks and she can say 25 to 30 words now tht is twice as many as she had before.  I feel your pain.  Early Intervention helped us alot and picks up all of the tab.

Mimi1Star
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:58 PM

My daughter is 4 years and three months, she doesn't say many understandable words either.  She has her own language, sometimes referred to as "twin talk".  She didn't start talking and then loose her speech she just never developed it.  She says the basic words, momma, dada, bye bye, pee pee, small things like that, never any sentences.  She isn't consistent with those words either.  Just mostly babbles.  We've gone to so many doctors, Pediatrician, ENT, Speech therapists, and a Neurologist.  We've gone through evaluations with speech therapists and with the school she is in now (Early Learning Academy for children with delays) she wasn't diagnosed with autism either only a speech delay. 

Going to the park is difficult for us as well, not really for her, just me I guess.  It hurts when other children walk up to yours and starts talking and eventually gives up on playing with her because she can't communicate with them.  We don't let it keep us from going though.  She has adapted to doing other things besides playing on the playground.  Most of the parks around us have ponds with ducks too so we always take bread to feed them and she enjoys doing that more than the playground.  However at her school they do have a playground and she will play with the kids there, I guess because there are others like her. 

It can be frustrating, I know, she wants to talk but can't, my daughter is the same way.  She will actually scream very loudly at times, more lately than ever, I guess since she is getting older and has more to say.  It really hurts us as mothers to see our children go through this but I know from experience that eventually they will start talking.  My youngest sister was this way too, she didn't talk until the age of 5.  She is now 22 and you would never know it.  

Send me a message anytime you want to ask questions or just talk about it.    I always have lots to say, lol. 

perfectmom20
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Hi, I'm in the a similar boat as you. When my son turned 2 he didnt talk either. Whenever he wanted something he would either point or take me to what he wanted. He started speech therapy,and at first he wasnt interested. His therapist told me to do this: Whenever he wants something,and points at it. Tell him what it is. For example: If he pointed at the fridge b/c he wanted to eat I would say to him " Oh you wanna eat" and do that with everything. I did that everyday! Couple months later he started saying simple words like eat,drink.mine etc. Then at 2.5 he started linking two words together, speech therapy has helped him ALOT! He's gonna be 3 next month and he still only uses 2 word phrases, so he's gonna go to speech therapy preschool where thier gonna help him meet his goals. It's a long and frustrating road but be patient b/c when you least expect it, she's gonna talk =] PM if you need to talk more or whatever.

10.jpg picture by issak2007

happy2bmom0406
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I was in your boat two years ago. About a year later my son was diagnosed with Autism.  He is four and a half now and he is AMAZING!!!  No one thought he had Autism at first.  He got diagnosed with Severe Speech Delay by the school district and was put in a special ed pre school at age four.  His class is small and consists of children with High Functioining Autism and Speech Delayed kids.  After a few weeks it was apparent that my son was closer to the High Functioning Autism.  They "tweaked" his speech therapy just a bit to more "teach him to have a conversation" rather than just "teaching him how to talk".  I think it is a reaaally fine line between speech delay and autism.  Even though she may not be autistic I would get some books on Autism.  Fun ones!  Get ones that teach communication games and help her learn to be around people and interact.  I don't have it with me but a great book is I think something like "1001 Activities for Teaching and Parenting a kid with Autism".  My daughter who is not delayed at all LOVES THESE GAMES!!  I think they are good for any child.  My son has really opened up.  Making it fun for you all at home is the BEST step you can take.  "Handling" my son's delay issues has made us a happy and close family.  We learned his language, while teaching him ours.  He is an amazing little boy and is expected to go through "typical schooling".  Our special kids are going to be stronger for this and we will get to witness miracles every day!

Proud Mommy of my sweet family!

mommydarling
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I am in the exact same boat as you, my son just turned 2 and has absolutely no words. Hid receptive language is very very high, but his expressive language is pretty much non existent,  he has been in speech therapy for a few weeks also, and hates it, he is very frustrated.  I know how you feel, all of my friends and families children are younger and talk way more so he has become an "outcast" it is a very tough thing to deal with, but you are getting the help your child needs, and that is the most important thing! Feel free to pm me if you would like to talk, vent whatever!

happy2bmom0406
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Quoting mommydarling:

I am in the exact same boat as you, my son just turned 2 and has absolutely no words. Hid receptive language is very very high, but his expressive language is pretty much non existent,  he has been in speech therapy for a few weeks also, and hates it, he is very frustrated.  I know how you feel, all of my friends and families children are younger and talk way more so he has become an "outcast" it is a very tough thing to deal with, but you are getting the help your child needs, and that is the most important thing! Feel free to pm me if you would like to talk, vent whatever!

mommydarling,  I didn't get a chance to welcome you on your other post!  I wanted to make sure I said WELCOME to the group!!  I also wanted to say, there is tons of hope!!  It will get better and your sweetie will be fine!!  BIG HUGS!!!

Proud Mommy of my sweet family!

cacharo
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:02 PM

my son had no words at two that was understandable. i know how frustrating it is to see other kids the same age that can hold conversations almost. my son used his hands to communicate with other kids he would pat them and run away laughing it was the only way he could interact. he has been doing speech therapy since june and also started preschool in sept. he is doing great!! hes gonna be 3 in feb. still gotta long way to go but has come so far. hugs!! and good luck!!

Butifly18
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2009 at 3:20 PM

My son is going to be 3 in June and has a significant speech delay, he also has mild hypotonia(low muscle tone), and gross and fine motor delays.  He did say a few words around 11- 12 months but then stopped saying them.  He has received Early Intervention Services since he was 21 months old, he does use signs and says things like More, Please, Thank you now since being in Early Intervention but still has a significant delay, I definitely know how you feel Message me if you ever want to talk.  ~ Katie

MedicMommyAnne
by on Apr. 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Both of my boys have speech delays.  It is so hard, but I have learned a lot of things along the way.  A great tool that we used with my 2 year old, who also had no words at 2, was to make pictures of things that he would want or need throught the day.  We took the pictures, laminated them, and put magnets on the back and put them on the Fridge.  Then if he needed or wanted something he could bring me the picture and I knew exactly want he wanted.  The therapist also showed us some sign language.  They both helped a lot with the frustration.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)