Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello, I'm new to the group.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 281 Total Views

Hello all, I am a Mother to an adorable 2yo with a speech delay. Due to our pediatrician dragging his feet, we have only recently started the process of helping him. He is currently seeing a speech therapist every other week, and will be assessed Monday by our local EIS to see if they can help in any way. Anyways I just wanted to say hi and give you all a little background I look forward to getting to know all of you ladies.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Annette4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Hi and welcome!  My son is now 3 and at 20 mos, 2 yrs and 2 1/2 yrs I told my pedi something was wrong because my son lost language and was showing the "red flags".  She said, He'll catch up when he gets closer to 3, he is just busy.   Well, I didn't want to wait any longer, so I got him in private therapy.  It's a long story, but I feel I have done more for him than the therapy ever did, and it takes commitment and dedication. 

He has been out of therapy for over a month now, and has progressed to asking/answering questions, using adjectives and 4+ word sentences.  He still has a way to go for clarity of speech, but he has gone from nothing, to talking in less than 8 mos.

You can read my story here: Journal Post about Omega 3 Supplements (Fish Oil)  I am a firm believer in fish oil supplements and brain development.

This website teachmetotalk.com is also my therapy manual for activities and ideas for giving my own speech therapy. I own all of their fabulous and very helpful DVDs. Soooo worth the investment! 

You can also check out my profile/homepage for a list of resources for web sites, activities, therapy ideas, DVDs, toys... you name it!

Hope to get to know you, and see your child progress through his journey to overcome his challenge. Keep us posted!  We love success stories!  Check out my group in my siggy too!

perfectmom20
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Im a mom of 2 boys. Issak 2.5 and a 5 mnth old. Issak,my oldest was a 31 week preemie ** has speech delays. He's gonna be starting preschool next month. Its through a program child find,they help kids with speech delays && place them in preschool close to home.

10.jpg picture by issak2007

cacharo
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM

hi and welcome! its so strange that most ped say to "wait it out "or "they will catch up"! i heard "don't compare him to his sister" alot. i just think about how far he could have been if we would have started the process earlier! he started speech therapy at 30mths after ear tube surgery and he has come so far! good luck i;m sure those word will soon start flowing! 

mommydarling
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Thank you all for the nice welcome, it was nice to find out my pedi wasn't the only one brushing it off. I can't wait to update with some positive info, hopefully after his appt. tomorrow.

maguilar
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Yes therapy is a big help my son has done alot in therapy so good luck tommorow i know that irs really fustrating

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)