• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't Give Up!!!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:58 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

Just wanted to share a success story on my son. Dawson was diagnosed with a speech delay early on when he was a baby (not really sure when but I always knew that he was delayed more than other babies). He had re-occuring ear infections and that was the cause of his speech delay. We started early intervention last summer for about 3 months and then he was accepted into a Child Find program at the near-by elementary school. By being in the school environment, therapy and educated teachers he is now talking more than ever. He still has a ways to go with some things but he has improved so much! I just wanted to tell you to not give up and don't feel like you have done something to cause a speech delay (I did for a while). It takes time and learning. It may be hard and uncomfortable for a while but in the end it is totally worth it.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KGreene79
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Our story is like yours. Jackson's delay seems to have been solely due to chronic ear infections. Once he got tubes, he was only in early intervention for 3 months before he was caught up. We are lucky though, because even though it is hard no matter what when your child is delayed, speech delay due to fluid in the ears is easier to fix. It takes more work when there is some sort of speech disorder or other underlying condition. Thanks for sharing.

Annette4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Thanks for sharing!  My son also overcame a lot of "red flags" in the last year, and his language has taken off by leaps and bounds! (receptive as well as expressive).  It is a long and worrysome road, but hang in there, stay dedicated and it will happen!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)