Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok Question

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

We go to a laptime class at the library once a week it is the only time Hayden is around other kids his age he just turned 2.  I see all the other kids sitting down listening and particpating.  I know Hayden cant talk participate but there are some hands on things to do..  but he doesnt he wants to get up and walk around wish he cant do if he does this and refuses to sit we have to leave the room and come back when he is calmed down.....

Do u think that it is bc of his speedch that he doesnt want to participate.  I see all the other kids listeing to the songs and books and Hayden just refuses....  

Angie sahm mom to Robyn,10     Dylan,7and Hayden ,2step mommy to Aubri,5

If you are your husband are in a remarriage come visit my new group : http://www.cafemom.com/group/106545

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
82ndairbornewif
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I have a two year old who doesn't like to do that either :) He's just not ready yet, my oldest who is my speech delayed child has always particpated his speech has never botherd him in group situations even when i have to repeat what he's said for someone , it really could just be the age he's at or the setting , its hard to sit still when your 2 :)

usmcwifemom2
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:05 AM

my 2 1/2 yr old, turning 3 in november still won't sit for a story unless it's on her terms. we're currently waiting a pediatric neurologist for our appointment for her at the end of september, she is showing a lot of ADHD signs with sensory integration dysfunction which is common in speech delayed kids as well as in autism. right now with her behavior we need peace of mind. she won't sit, she won't be cuddled, she won't do a thing unless it's strictly on her routine and on her terms! so ya i feel ya on the whole not sitting thing.

turtle79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Hi! How is his receptive language? Does he understand as much language as others his age?

I think that's a BIG part of kids wanting to stay and participate in things like that. If he has a hard time with understanding language, he's probably naturally more drawn to the physical and exploring things on his own.  I'm not saying he doesn't understand anything you say, but he might have a hard time with stories and instructions. For example,  I know I wouldn't really be interested in sitting around listening to stories and songs in Spanish, especially if some participation on my part was expected, because even though I  understand some Spanish, I only understand enough to get the point when somone uses short sentences and hand gestures to help me out.

My son sounds a lot like yours. He's so curious, he wants to explore and examine EVERYTHING but gets no joy out of storytime. We do look at books together, and he LOVES that and will sit perfectly still, but it's because I modify them. I use very short sentences and label things in the pictures rather than actually reading the story.  But if I try to actually READ something to him or even when he watches a movie with a lot of dialogue, he loses interest fast. It's just too hard to keep up with all that language.

I don't think it's a problem of ADD because you said he likes starfall.com right? If he's like my son, he sits well when you're doing that wil him right? it''s not like he CAN'T sit and focus, He IS sitting and paying attention when it interests him. My son likes starfall.com too :)

He also LOVES the babybabble videos and they're good for language. My son is NOT a TV watcher (I think for the same reason as storytime. if there's too much talk, talk talking, it's exhausting to him to try to follow it  so he doesn't even try) but I can definitely recommend Baby babble 1 and 2 for those times you really need a break.

He's just turned 3 and is now better able to sit for storytime because his understanding is getting better, but he's still very curious and very into figuring out how things work more than doing arts and crafts and those kind of things.

Anyway, I think it will get more fun for him as his language develops more and more and it's not bad practice to take him for a bit and have him sit. Even if it's not his favorite thing, he'll learn he has to sit and do what the other kids are doing sometimes and eventually he'll probably come to like it :)

RaggedyAnne
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM

It could be because he's frustrated.  When my 5 yr old son had  the same problem, I would leave the room until he calmed down.

Nicole080984
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I think it's more the age then the speech...kids that age are not into the sitting still for long periods of time.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Siggy

I am a formula feeding (by choice), never co-sleeping, tummy sleeping, vaccinating, sleeping in their own room, time-out, CIO and spanking (when need be) believer, pro-induction (with Epi, of course), pro-choice , tattooed and pierced (and yes my daughter’s ear’s are pierced too), needs to lose some weight mama.
AngieJohnson
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Thanks its kinda of a catch 22 I want him around other kids he loves the craft time just not the story time.. so we will see I may try it a few more times and if it still doesnt work it out just stop going for a while... we had a dr apt will repost in a  new thread

Angie sahm mom to Robyn,10     Dylan,7and Hayden ,2step mommy to Aubri,5

new bible study group : http://www.cafemom.com/group/106545

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)