Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 9:47 PM
  • 151 Replies
  • 6132 Total Views
I would like to start by welcoming everyone to my group. My name is Jewell. I'm 22 years old and live in Washington. I have 2 sons and am an at home mom. Riley 2 1/2, and Dakota 11 months. Riley is my toddler who is delayed in his speech. He can only say about 4 or 5 words, and he doesn't even say "mama" or "dada" anymore. We had him in speech therapy for awhile, all she was able to teach him in 6 months was how to say and sign for "more". He did this everytime he wanted something to eat or drink whether he had some already or not. So, we decided to take him out of it and I work with him at home. We use pictures, read books, and I talk to him CONSTANTLY. I'm always up for new advice cause it's going very slowly. We've also recently started to try the long hard journey of potty training, as all of you should know this is even more difficult with a special child like ours, because it's really hard to communicate with him. So once again welcome, please introduce yourself.
by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yegz210
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2007 at 10:00 PM
I'm Erica, I'm 21 my son is 2 and a half.. he has down syndrome and he also has a speech delay.. i strated teaching him signs when he was 6 months he is now up to 85 signs (including songs) he also has a speech therapist which he does very well with.. you can try to switch to a different one.. he doesnt say anyhting but grandpa go figure haha but good luck and if yu have any questions let me know i think sign is the best way to go... they have a lot of websites books and videos to help yu teach it

Erica*

mom to- Ethan (2)

bkt84
by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM
Hello my name is Breanne i'm 22 im from minnesota I have 2 little boys cameron is almost 21 months and carter just tuned 4 months Cameron is the one with speech probloms he is being evaluated now he can say "hi" and my brothers name wich is "dillon" that is it. Im so glad to hear there are other moms that have the same problom!!! thank you for having this group
Mrs.Sandy
by on Sep. 19, 2007 at 10:05 PM
Hello~ My name is Sandy and I am 23.  I have two girls Abby is 21/2 and Madie is 7months.   I am a stay at home mommy and Navy wife living in Whidbey Island Washington.  Abby has been in Speech Therapy for the last 3-4 months or so.  She has a problem with finishing her words, a lot of the letters and she can not say words that start with the "s" sound.  We haven't gotten much out of the speech either but we don't have to pay for it and it gets her talking to other people other then my husband and myself and our friends.  We are also working with the potty training issue.
angelshanin2002
by Member on Sep. 19, 2007 at 10:34 PM
Hello, my name is Shanin I am 36 yrs old, and I have two older children 9 1/2 and 12 and then Nicholas who is almost 2 1/2.  He has been in Speech therapy for four months and it is going very slowly but it does seem to be helping a little.  He does all of the signs that she teaches him which is a whole lot less stressful than a screaming boy.  Don't get me wrong, he still screams when he feels he is not getting his point across.  I am also trying very, very hard to potty train unsuccessfully of course.  I don't remember it being so hard with my older two.  Maybe I am not as patient as I used to be. 
mchoby
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2007 at 7:44 AM
Hi everyone  My name is Melissa I am from WIsconsin.  I have two beautiful daughters, Madelynn who is 4 and Kendall who is 20 mos.  Kendall is trying so hard to talk, but nothing we are doing is working.  She just started to say mama, but she says it for everything.  The same goes for DADA.  She also says NO, that comes out really well, but that is about it.  Her pediatrician is not worried, but my oldest talked when she was about a year, so I think that Kendall is a little behind.
momoftwins915
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2007 at 1:25 PM
hello my name is Melanie and i am 25. I have fraternal twin boys that are 2 1/2 the first one is Camron and he is doing great with his speech! but my other boy (jeremie) is way behind. he has two words. we have been in speech therapy for a little over a year now with no progress. i have tried so many different things and it just doesn't seem to be geeting through to him. there are alot of people who tell me that there kids didn't say a word until they were 3 1/2 and not to worry, but as you all now it is kind of hard not to worry or get frustrated with it all. I look forward to hearing all of your stories!
SantaMom
by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Jewell,

Was there no option to get him a new therapist who may have some or more experience with apraxia?  I am guessing way too quickly, I'll admit, that this may be what you're tackling.  There are lots of things you can do and try but it would be so much easieer on you with a GOOD therapist coming in at least a couple times a week.  Does your state have Early Intervention?  I thought they all did.... if he has apraxia an Occupational Therapist  should also be given to you at the very least!  My daughter has these PLUS a Physical Therapist and a Special Ed. teacher.  They all come to our house and they are provided by the county.  When she is 3 they will be provided by the school district.  Have you exhausted all these avenues?  If you are doing therapies yourself have you applied for SSI?

cnanney
by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 5:11 PM
Hi.
I am Cindy, and I have a two year old named Harvey.  My second one is due in November.  Harvey can say a few words.  UhOh is his new thing.  Other than that Bob (for Bob the Builder) and Mama.  He tries really hard to have a conversation, but it all comes out in jabber and chatter.  I put him in a two year old preschool program a couple days a week, but had to take him out due to anxiety problems (he was uncomfortable with kids his own age)  All of his playmates are older than him by at least two years.  I am glad that there are others out there willing to provide an ear and a shoulder. 
2babiesmomma_02
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2007 at 3:18 AM
Hello, my name is Diane. I am a 22 yr old stay at home mom in Indiana! I have 2 girls Alexis who is 5 yrs old and Zoei who is 2 months old. Alexis can speak but she doesnt make a lot of the sounds of the letters. Like when she says chips its ships. She uses sh for a lot of her sounds. She just entered Kindergarten on Aug 16th and they provided us a speech therapist for her! We got an appt with her on Oct 4th and soon after that Alexis will be goin to her twice a week. I hope it works!!
SkylarBlu
by Member on Sep. 21, 2007 at 9:40 PM
Hi I am Nicole and the Mother of two boys 4 and 5 yrs old. Both of my boys have a speech delay and I have to say keep going with the speech therapist. Find a new one if you need but keep going with it. The signs help with the frustration level abnd then they can learn to talk. I kept it up here and no they are doing very well. I am very pleased with what they learned at school as well. When your son turns three have him evaluated my the child study team at your school and they provide a pre-k program for him. they have to be three before they qualify though. I definately suggest going back with the speech therapist though ASAP. Look for a new one if you would like but go back he needs it and it will help you too. If you have anymore problems or questions or need advice please don't be afraid to ask. Nicole
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)