Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would homeschooling be a good option in this case.

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 361 Total Views

I had conferences last week with DS teacher.  He is in 3rd grade, is on the autism spectrum and has ADHD.  He is in regular classes, and doing great for the most part.  At the conference his teacher said that while he knows how to read, he does not comprehend a lot of what he has read, this has not been too big a problem until this year.  She went on to say that he is reading 77 words per minute, and by March they hope to have him reading faster and comprehending more. 

I said well I'm may be off here, but if he is having trouble comprehending, I dont' want him to learn to read faster if he is not going to be able to comprehend what he does read, I would rather him read a little slower and comprehend something, than not at all.  I then asked what I could do at home to help him with this and she said well here is the check list we use, just see that he is doing these things.  Um, okay and how do you want me to do this if you can't even get him to? 

I then asked about homework and she said that it is not worth her time, effort or the paper, as last year only a few kids ever brought it back, parents are complaining that they can't find the 20 minutes a day for their child to do their required reading, let alone other homework.  I was thinking then why do you grade them on returning homework on time.  She then went on to say in a sort of not so nice attitude, that she had no concerns about his math, he is ahead of the class in this becuase he has worked all summer and fall with a math tutor and it shows, so now he is bored with math.  I know even with my DS disability that he is capable of doing more and I feel he is going to fall through the cracks so to speak, right now there are 29 kids in his class.     

I am seriously considering homeschooling.  He is an only child, I know they say they need the socialization, but I feel he gets enough else where, he is on a basketball team, does swimming lessons, plays with the neighbor kids, has 3 other cousins he plays with all the time, we go to the park and he plays with the kids there too.  We do social skils groups and rec groups throughout the summer and he gets help with this outside of the school setting through a service agency, so he does get the opportunities to practice them.  I am just wondering if homeschooling right now might be a better solution.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
de_lite5
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I don't know much about home schooling but I do know some parents who homeschool have started doing it in small groups. I know working with my child at home is a chore at times, because its mom they don't want to listen.

But I will say, the teacher sounds like she doesn't care as much, not because she's a bad teacher but it sounds as if the school district is having issues, like so many. What she's saying doesn't make sense. If he isn't comprehending why would you want him to read faster? Why wouldn't homework be worth the time? I have the highest regard for teachers but if your child is a bad fit with this teacher, it may not be the same with another teacher's class. I'd probably try and switch him to a different class, talk to the school counselors, and if you get no resolution, maybe homeschooling might be a better option. I hope it works out for you....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)