• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a reasonable price to charge for Photography?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 409 Total Views

So i have had people tell me I dont charge enough ( was charge $50) and i just recently had someone basically tell me that I charge to much ( i asked $125).  Now I offer to go to her home, bring my lights and backdrop, a 2 hour photoshoot and editing of all the pictures, which inclused photoshoping how they like, and a disc with copyright release.  My question is what does everyone charge?  I am torn between feeling frustrated because I do it for barely nothing, so I don want to do it at all, and then feeling bad for charging my friends money.  but it is very time comsuming, even if I do enjoy it a lot.  So what does everyone think is a reasonable price to charge for a photoshoot?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
3girlsihave
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM

What ever you feel comfortable in charging. Mine are cheap because I don't have my own studio. I use my basement. If you charge less, you may get more people to come to you other than them going to wal mart etc. I never once had anyone complain about my prices.

Rangerwife
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM

People will value you based on your price.  Set your price high, and then if you don't want to charge that much, offer a discount on that original high price.  I charge $100/hr for portrait sessions and approx.  $300/hr for weddings.  Although I do offer discounts a lot.

motherhood77
by New Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I am just starting out...and actually just bought my Canon 50D last night. I am going to charge $100 for 1-2 hours of on location shoot, and will also give the clients 10-15 edited final images on a cd for them to print as many as they want. But this is only until I have a enough material to put in my portfolio. Then when I am more established, hopefully within a year...I will charge $250 for 1-2 hours on location and they will pay for the prints. 

IlovemyIsa
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Yeah i edit them all so they end up with about 100 edited pictures.  I think this chick was just being cheap!  She is more then welcome to take her kids to wal mart to get some crappy pics that she cant even make prints out of without paying an arm and a leg.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)