Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some CC

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

Well I'm officially starting my own photography business. Nature is my backdrop so I don't have a studio. I'm currently not charging for photos because I feel I need to get more practice but I want to get my name out there. Here are some pictures, let me know what you think please.

There we go! What do you think?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
C-K-Csmom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM

#2 & #12 are flashy, not a fan of on board flash.

If nature is going to be your backdrop then keep an eye out for trucks and other distracting objects behind your subject, if your DOF was shallower it probably wouldn't catch the eye so much. Your black and whites are dark and gray.

Honestly if I were you I would work on photography with your own family and get to know your settings inside and out before practicing on strangers. You don't want to be remembered (or get your name out) with pictures like these. You are not terrible, but you are beginner and it shows through your pictures. Read and learn as much as you can. Give it time, don't rush to get known before you are ready. 

#13 &14 you can tell the blur was added in editing and it looks fake, personally not a fan of fake DOF.

saddie8108
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I do really like your nature ones.  That wind mill one is really great.  The first few with the little one, did you edit those at all??  I definately agree with PP that there are a few tricks you should learn before trying to get your name out there. 

I have been practicing on people for a whole year now.  I still dont think i am good enough to be charging people.

JBDslittlemam08
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Yup I did edit the ones of my LO. They were originally very dark. Is there any suggestions as to what I should do?

Quoting saddie8108:

I do really like your nature ones.  That wind mill one is really great.  The first few with the little one, did you edit those at all??  I definately agree with PP that there are a few tricks you should learn before trying to get your name out there. 

I have been practicing on people for a whole year now.  I still dont think i am good enough to be charging people.

C-K-Csmom
by Member on Jun. 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Are you shooting in manual? Its great that you got down you the child level. I would recommend learning your cameras settings and how they work first then learn about editing. If the photos were dark and you were shooting in manual then your settings were wrong. Your editing has his white shirt all blown out.

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

Yup I did edit the ones of my LO. They were originally very dark. Is there any suggestions as to what I should do?

Quoting saddie8108:

JBDslittlemam08
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I don't think I'm shooting in manual...again this is where my amature-ness shows......I don't even understand that LMAO!

I've been practicing a lot with my camera the last few days. I cannot change my shutter speed but in "A" mode I can change my aperature. I've been learning all about that.

My P, S and M....now totally understand those completely.

I've been doing test prints to see how off my laptop calibration is. I'm still trying to get it right.

I've been doing a lot of studying and reading to improve myself!

Quoting C-K-Csmom:

Are you shooting in manual? Its great that you got down you the child level. I would recommend learning your cameras settings and how they work first then learn about editing. If the photos were dark and you were shooting in manual then your settings were wrong. Your editing has his white shirt all blown out.

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

Quoting saddie8108:

C-K-Csmom
by Member on Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM

what type of camera do you have? I am a Nikon girl so I won't be much help unless you are too, lol. There is a book called "Understanding Exposure" that I have heard is great for newbies. It explains all the settings and how they work together. I don't know what you are studying if it isn't settings??? Settings are the most important thing to understand in photography. Shutter speed F-stop, ISO's... really important. While there are photographers that shoot in auto I really think those things are so important to understand and at least know. Once you know those you can get great pictures in all different lighting situations. If you plan to shoot outside your settings will change throughout a whole photo session. You need to learn when to change what settings so that you achieve great images and how to avoid noise, motion blur. I am a little confused on why you want your name out there when you don't even know what settings are yet?  

That blur you added can be achieved naturally and look natural when you learn your settings and how to use them. 

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

I don't think I'm shooting in manual...again this is where my amature-ness shows......I don't even understand that LMAO!

I've been practicing a lot with my camera the last few days. I cannot change my shutter speed but in "A" mode I can change my aperature. I've been learning all about that.

I've been doing test prints to see how off my laptop calibration is. I'm still trying to get it right.

Quoting C-K-Csmom:

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

Quoting saddie8108:

JBDslittlemam08
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I've been learning a lot about all that. I'm reading up on ISO currently. I've got the F-stops and the shutter speeds down and the aperature. I used my camera on my husband for the first time w/ the exstensive blur so I didn't know what I was doing.

I also use a Nikon. I have a Nikon D3000.

As far as getting my name out there, I've had major change of plans. I realized I have a lot lot lot more to learn so I'm just going to be PBing for a good while.

Quoting C-K-Csmom:

what type of camera do you have? I am a Nikon girl so I won't be much help unless you are too, lol. There is a book called "Understanding Exposure" that I have heard is great for newbies. It explains all the settings and how they work together. I don't know what you are studying if it isn't settings??? Settings are the most important thing to understand in photography. Shutter speed F-stop, ISO's... really important. While there are photographers that shoot in auto I really think those things are so important to understand and at least know. Once you know those you can get great pictures in all different lighting situations. If you plan to shoot outside your settings will change throughout a whole photo session. You need to learn when to change what settings so that you achieve great images and how to avoid noise, motion blur. I am a little confused on why you want your name out there when you don't even know what settings are yet?  

That blur you added can be achieved naturally and look natural when you learn your settings and how to use them. 

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

Quoting C-K-Csmom:

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

Quoting saddie8108:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)