Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update* male domination, yup! and ewwwww!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 543 Total Views

Question....I have a 5yo male dane that got a new brother a few months ago, anyone want to guess the problem? I can't stop him! He quit for a few weeks so I thought it wouldn't be a worry anymore, now he's non-stop all day, and the poor 4month puppy gets hurt. They are both getting fixed next week, but I'm guessing the 5yo won't stop that anyway, ugh and help!

Well now the puppy is tall enough to hump the 5yo. Eveything was going well for the summer, and now they sneak everytime they don't see me watching. Now what? I'm staying consistant, but this is just gross esp when the kids see them :(  

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hightideatsea
by Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM

It should help that they are both getting fixed. I had an unneutered dachshund one time that used to carry around a stuffed dolphin bigger than him and would "do the deed" with it.  Vet told us it was his way of showing affection to the stuffed animal. We ended up getting him neutered because when our female went into heat, he would get very aggressive and nasty and that was not a trait I wanted in pups, so off he went to get fixed.  Needless to say he stopped with his dolphin.  lol 

m.u.m.
by Member on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Quoting hightideatsea:

It should help that they are both getting fixed. I had an unneutered dachshund one time that used to carry around a stuffed dolphin bigger than him and would "do the deed" with it.  Vet told us it was his way of showing affection to the stuffed animal. We ended up getting him neutered because when our female went into heat, he would get very aggressive and nasty and that was not a trait I wanted in pups, so off he went to get fixed.  Needless to say he stopped with his dolphin.  lol 

oh good, I'm glad to hear that :) this dane of ours humped his pillow a couple of yrs ago(I wrote another post on that,lol) Anyway, it's worth a shot, the neighbors are starting to talk,lol :)

Hopewhite
by Member on Jun. 9, 2011 at 6:30 AM

My 3 yr old female will suddenly decides she wants to dominate the male.  Sad part is, she just does it on the spur of the moment and does it from the front and back.  Both fixed.  Vet said that fixing takes the ability, not the wanna, if u know what I mean.   very emabarrassing when we have company LOL

m.u.m.
by Member on Jun. 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM

our first dane was Napa, a female, she maulled my son badly who was sitting next to our male puppy over a pig ear she already had. There is more to the story, but after holding her in our laundry room for a week, and begging the rescues to help and send her to a single guy or young couple to work on her, they told us since the male faught back, she was going for death and our only choice was to put her down. I still tear talking about her. I will never get a female dane again :(

My 3 yr old female will suddenly decides she wants to dominate the male.  Sad part is, she just does it on the spur of the moment and does it from the front and back.  Both fixed.  Vet said that fixing takes the ability, not the wanna, if u know what I mean.   very emabarrassing when we have company LOL

hightideatsea
by Member on Jun. 10, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I've very sorry to hear that and hope your son was ok!  I have a female dane and she is the gentlest dog I've ever owned...a little clumsey at times but she has such a good temperment.  I've never had a problem with her showing any sort of dominance, or aggression.  Maybe there was something wrong in the breeding lines of your female? 

Quoting m.u.m.:

our first dane was Napa, a female, she maulled my son badly who was sitting next to our male puppy over a pig ear she already had. There is more to the story, but after holding her in our laundry room for a week, and begging the rescues to help and send her to a single guy or young couple to work on her, they told us since the male faught back, she was going for death and our only choice was to put her down. I still tear talking about her. I will never get a female dane again :(

Hopewhite
by Member on Jun. 12, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Females are all that I have had until we got Runt.  I had one that turned a little aggresive, but that was due blinness in one eye (caused by an injury) and another meical condition.  Cheza is one of the most loving dogs until she feels I am threat and she will become a little bit protective.  I think her humping Runt is just saying "He's Mine".  The vet told me that it happens sometimes, when the female has a hormonal inbalance (imagine that LOL).  Overall our pack is pretty darn good.  I think its like any animal breeding, it depends on the breed, the genes and the handling.

m.u.m.
by Member on Jun. 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM

well if this helps, we figured out later what a puppy mill was and that she came from one under heavy suspition. It was one of the reasons why the rescues wouldn't take her, plus the fact that our male defended himself.

madismommy03
by Member on Jun. 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I don't have danes currently (did growing up) but one of my male dogs dominates (front and back) my other male dog and they are both fixed. Idk what to do. I just yell at him and sometimes he listens, other times he won't. Some days it seems like it's all he ever does. Strange thing is, he is the younger one doing it to the older (more gentle, nurturing) one.

m.u.m.
by Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I Was told to firmly, sharply and loudly yell "leave it!" the second you see anything, even if he's just sniffing the other dog's pee. Zeus has regressed one day so far.

Quoting madismommy03:

I don't have danes currently (did growing up) but one of my male dogs dominates (front and back) my other male dog and they are both fixed. Idk what to do. I just yell at him and sometimes he listens, other times he won't. Some days it seems like it's all he ever does. Strange thing is, he is the younger one doing it to the older (more gentle, nurturing) one.

madismommy03
by Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I will try that! Thanks!

ETA: He understands "leave it" and "drop it" in other situations so I think it may work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)