Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son was diagnosed with Autism

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

I need to know what I can give him that may lessen this issue as much as possible. I already tried that Attention! Focus wafers. He's only almost 3 1/2.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JCPenny
by Group Owner on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Avoiding sugars, food coloring, and preservatives should help greatly. Also, limit their time with a tv, they get use to having the flashy, always changing, and the real world gets boring to them.

www.PennysPetPantry.com
For holistic pet food and treats.
Never been recalled!

www.MyHomeFacial.com
For a Spa syle home facial at a fraction of the cost.

A great work at home business!

mnwintercritter
by Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I would suggest before you go nuts with diets, because that is what most of us have had the most success with, you try going organic with your whole family's diet. Don't try to tie yourself to a very restrictive diet like Feingold or Gluten Free/Casin Free until you know from a dr that it is what your child needs. Most of us find that if we just remove additives and preservatives from our children's diets that it does make an extreme difference in their sensativity issues, behavior as well as their attention spans.

The previous poster recommended removing sugar. I don't find that makes much difference. What we actually have a problem with is the High Fructose Corn Syrup. If it is one of the top six ingredients in any food you give your child, you may have some good success if you remove it from his diet.  Also like many other asperger's moms I find that giving my son caffine really helps a lot with hyper behavior and sensory issues. It actually calms my son down.

Really don't worry so much about lessening your son's autism. What you want to try to reduce is some of the symptomatic problems of his autism. Without knowing more I can't give you specific recommendations. We have some great groups here on Cafe Mom. If you have diet questions try the Biomed Moms group. They can answer some specific questions about diets, probiotics as well as suppliments. Each specific diet like Feingold and GF/CF have specific groups if that is the direction you feel you need to go. I would also suggest some of the larger autism groups. Not all therapies for autism work for all children. These groups are where you are going to find the best information on the various therapies that are out there and available for our children.

BoyishPrincess
by Member on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Quoting JCPenny:

Avoiding sugars, food coloring, and preservatives should help greatly. Also, limit their time with a tv, they get use to having the flashy, always changing, and the real world gets boring to them.

I actually only have a tv for movies, I never bought cable and never bothered to buy a converter box.  I've already had him on a diet of fresh produce(organic whenever I can afford to), organic meat (if I actually buy it maybe once every 10 days), and I read ingredients before I buy food. I've done that since he was about 18 months and my daughter was 3. So I think I'm good there...thanks!

BoyishPrincess
by Member on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Thanks for the tips gals. I'm not trying to 'fix' him or lessen the issue. I'm just trying to find something I could give him that can help with his focus or something like that. I will do whatever I need to do to give my son everything he could need to succeed and so far, with what people have been telling me to do it's made me feel better because I've already been doing a lot of it! :o)  I can't believe I didn't even think of joining a group on here haha! Thanks for reminding me of that option!

mnwintercritter
by Member on Dec. 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM

The nutritionist we are working with has suggested DHA oil and Omega 3, 6, and 9 for ADD. Since I have been adding it to my son's protein shakes his teachers have noticed some wonderful improvement in his attention span. The Omega's we have given a consistent dosage since starting it. But the DHA we started out heavy to repair damage to the brain and then decreased as he improved in attention just to maintain.  Your son may balk at the taste of these if you use the fish oil version of the oils. You might have to go with the vegan options which are flaxseed based oils for the Omega's and alge for the DHA.  The Biomed group can give you some good links to ordering those over the web. I just get them from our nutritionist as I get a discount from her so without having to pay shipping I save about $20 on the same brands not having to get them over the web.

Oh and the protein shakes were another nutritionist suggestion. Apparently most kids in general are not getting enough protein and too many glutens. Protein helps build the brain. My son still gets glutens just not as much and we do the protein shakes for breakfast since he wont eat in the early AM but will do the shakes (smoothies).

We started each of these about a month apart but the teachers reported the most increase in attention with the DHA, so you might want to consider trying that first as far as additional suppliments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)