Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Liquid to stop thumb sucking

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 10:55 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 788 Total Views

Looking for info, opinions, advice, please, asap.

Our 1 year old granddaughter sucks her right thumb and it became swollen and infected about 2 weeks ago, parents drained pus out of it and put hydrogen peroxide on it, can't keep a bandaid on it 'cus baby takes it off.  It got better after they drained it, then 3 days ago the infection returned.

Parents took her to the doctor who gave an Rx for anti-biotics. Mom doesn't want to give her the antibiotics, and also doesn't want to put the liquid to discourage thumb sucking on her thumb because she's afraid of the chemicals in it.

Ingredients: Ethyl Acetate, Alcohol Denat., PVM/MA Copolymer, Phthalic Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycols Copolymer, Butyl Acetate, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Sucrose Octaacetate, Denatonium Benzoate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Benzophenone-1, D&C Violet No. 2.

This product has been around for many years and is supposed to be harmless. I know that, left untreated, this recurring bacterial infection on her thumb could travel elsewhere in her little body and do real damage.

Gma Poohz

by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
muffaluma
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic.  You might try a few drops in a bit of witch hazel and soak the wound.

JasonsCutiePie
by Member on Nov. 21, 2008 at 12:43 AM

My mom put Tobasco on my little brother's thumb when he wouldn't stop sucking it. I know that won't help with the infection but it's definatly a discouragement for the habbit. She just put a dab on it and it was enough to put a stop to it.

Jen

JCPenny
by Group Owner on Nov. 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM
I sucked my thumb until I was 7. My mom made a week of fun things to do and wore my plum out! Each night I would fall asleep from exhaustion and I didn't have time or energy to suck my thumb to get me to sleep. After that week, I was cured. It may take a week of holding her hands and rocking her to sleep. I also recommend the tabasco, or you could try vinegar too, but I wouldn't put either on there until her thumb has cleared up. Tea tree oil should help the infection. I put straight tea tree oil on an abscess on my son's bum- it was open and nasty- and he never said that it stung or hurt.

www.PennysPetPantry.com
For holistic pet food and treats.
Never been recalled!

www.MyHomeFacial.com
For a Spa syle home facial at a fraction of the cost.

A great work at home business!

gmapoohz
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Quoting JCPenny:

Tea tree oil should help the infection. I put straight tea tree oil on an abscess on my son's bum- it was open and nasty- and he never said that it stung or hurt.

Thanks very much for the input - I have been googling Tea Tree Oil but what I haven't figured out yet is if the pure oil is safe to ingest - pretty difficult for your son to ingest any from having it put on his bum :-)

Do you know anyting about the safety of ingesting it from sucking a thumb coated with it ?

Update: I learned Tea Tree Oil should NOT be ingested

Meantime our grandbaby's thumb got better again, her mom has been soaking it in green tea 'cus she heard somewhere that could help, but of course we don't know if that had anything to do with her thumb getting better again or not - we're crossing our fingers hoping the infection stays away.

I'm very interested in the many other things I read that Tea Tree Oil is supposed to help, including athlete's foot and toenail fungus, which my husband suffers greatly from - going to buy some today and see if it helps him !

Thanks again,

Gma Poohz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)