Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bipolar

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

My youngest son, who lives with me was just diagnosed with bipolar. Is there anything other than drugs that he can take that will help with bipolar symptoms?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Leslillli
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM

i would start research diet and nutrition. you can start here, the weston a price foundation.

JCPenny
by Group Owner on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM
I have a friend with bipolar and she controls it with diet and vitamins. I'm not sure what exactly she takes, but I do know that artificial, processed, and food coloring are things she keeps out of her diet. I believe fish oil was one of the things she took.

www.PennysPetPantry.com
For holistic pet food and treats.
Never been recalled!

www.MyHomeFacial.com
For a Spa syle home facial at a fraction of the cost.

A great work at home business!

mnwintercritter
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:49 AM

How old is he? Diet is an option and if he is reasonably well balanced most of the time through therapy he can learn tools to help him manage. Its actually more training him to self identify when he is starting to swing as well as develop strategies for how to combat that swing.  But this really isn't something that can be utilized until about school age. Also be aware if he is a teen or as he approaches teen, drugs are probably going to be necessary to help him maintain a balance.

Personally I feel that unless the situation is extreme you don't want to start children on drug therapies until they are teens. But I do know that sometimes the assistance those drugs provide to your children's balance and perception of the world around them are necessary.

estop
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I have my son on fish oil diet he does not eat spicy , fried and sugar food. he eat alot of frsh veggie .plus we do alot of therapy so he can learn how to control his behavior he is now 12 and have came along way .

gotyourphone.co
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 4:59 PM

My son is 21. He started having signs in his teens, but the doctors said it was his ADHD. Now that I am understanding more about bipolar, believe me, in his teens was the bipolar, not ADHD. He has wild mood swings. He will go from extreme lows to over the top highs (manic). I've been hearing alot about fish oil. I am going to look into everything you ladies have told me. If anyone else has any advise, please let me know. Thank you everyone. You ladies are all great!!!!

thank you

mdmi03
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I have bipolar and have found that limiting the sugars in my diet helps too. ALSO 1 BIG thing that  I have been doin recently is I am taking an all natural AMAZINGLY good for you drink. It is part of my business. The drink is called Ninxia Red. There is mostly juices and a couple EO's in it. You take 1 oz a day or more if you feel that you need it. It helps TREMENDOUSLY!!! My dad and my younger sister take it too and they cant believe the results. (they are bipolar too) This drink can  be used for soooooooo much more. The amount of good vitamins and anitoxidents and other stuff in that 1 oz is equal to 4 gals of pureed: Almonds, Strawberries, Tomatoe, Blue Berries, Onion, Broccoli, Orange, Apple, Spinache, and Carrots. Believe me that is a Nasty combo. The 1 oz of Nixia red is SOOOO much easier to swallow. If you would like more information on it I can email or message you more info. I just need a little time to put together some things to really show you what all it is good for. Also you can check out my websight www.youngliving.org/abetteryou The product is on there. I also believe you can use EO to help too. There is one called Joy that is good for bipolar too. Also I will talk my dad and see what Vitamins and herbs he was useing too. He refused to take the drugs cause it really screwed him up. OK well I hope you find this info helpful.

Hope to talk to ya soon.

Denise

Check out my sight @ www.yougliving.org/abetteryou 

muffaluma
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 11:37 PM

5 hydroxytryptophan or 5HTP is a supplement that metabolizes into seratonin, which can help with depression.   It is basically like taking tryptophan, but metabolizes better.  It is not recommenended to take with SSRI's (prozac, Zoloft) as the risk of seratonin syndrome can be quite serious.  There is so much to read on it, you should probably wikipedia it.

Ginko Biloba is a good supplement to take to offset the side effects of SSRI's so if you go with SSRI's in the end I recommend it, and also if you use 5HTP or tryptophan.

mdmi03
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Wikipedia is a very bad source of information. That place, you never know if the information you get is actually right. Colleges will actually fail your reports if you use wikipedia for any information. It is not a place that can be trusted for information. I'd start w/ webmd.com

muffaluma
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Well, any other source anyone can recommend to research 5HTP and SSRIs.  I have a pile of books, but can't scan and too much to type.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)