Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sage Tea to help dry up breast milk?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 9834 Total Views

My DD is 16 months and is still nursing.  I would like to start drying up my milk a little at a time to help wean us.  I don't want to do it cold turkey.  I tried that and I didn't like the pain of super engorged breasts.  I'm on the mini pill (birth control), but that's not slowing down my milk at all.  So, I came across info on sage and how it dries up the milk.  Cool.  But nothing anywhere says if it's safe enough to drink it while I'm still nursing.  Now, I'm not nursing full time.  She just nurses when we're at home and she's tired.  When we're out and about, she doesn't nurse at all and falls alseep on her own.  I feel like I'm being used.  lol!  As much as I enjoyed breast feeding my DD, it's time to stop.  Now, I don't need any lectures or otherwise about how long I should breastfeed my child.  I'm done and that's my decision.  I'm just looking for an answer on how safe the sage tea is to drink while nursing?  I'm not going hog wild on it, just maybe 1 cup a day for now and slowly increasing it as the weeks go by.  I want to be completely done nursing by the time she's 18 months.

Any insight would be great!  Thank you ladies!

by on Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2bunny
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Anyone?   

pamr95
by Member on Mar. 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Don't know about the sage.  But what worked for me was whole cabbage leaves on your breast.  Put a couple of leaves over each breast and then a sports bra.  Hope it helps.  It worked for me but did not work for my sister.  would be worth a try. Good luck!!

mommy2bunny
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Thanks.  I was told to only do the cabbage leaves if my DD was completely done nursing.  I will definately do that when she stops.  I'm just wanting to slowly decrease my supply.  I looked it up on Kellymom last night and to my understanding, the sage tea is perfect for what I want to do.  IDK.  I'm ready to completely stop, but she isn't.  So, that's why I just want to decrease my milk until there's nothing and she looses interest. 

Quoting pamr95:

Don't know about the sage.  But what worked for me was whole cabbage leaves on your breast.  Put a couple of leaves over each breast and then a sports bra.  Hope it helps.  It worked for me but did not work for my sister.  would be worth a try. Good luck!!

bluets
by Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

congrats on having made this far breastfeeding - you're a super mama for having stuck it out. 

i *just* weaned my 4 year old, about a month ago, and it took 2 years of gentle cutbacks for us to get there.  i simply followed his cues, his needs, and my instincts.  he would not have been ready to wean at 16 months even though (or especially because?) he was in daycare full-time.  weaning a four yr old was surprisingly easy - the language and negotiation skills are so much more developed than in a toddler.

a gradual decrease in nursing frequency would seem to be the easiest way to do it without taking anything.  we got rid of the naptime nurse when son was 2 (mostly by getting rid of naptime on weekends - not something i suggest for sanity).  we got rid of the middle of the night nursing next (last fall). we stopped the early morning nursing just after New Years (which means that i no longer have sleep-in time on weekends because son is hungry when he wakes up).  just last month we got rid of the bedtime nursing session.  i woudl suggest a set of milestones for yourself but be prepared to do something else instead - you will need to offset the calory loss from nursing with an extra snack or meal; you will need to find some way to distract for the lost snuggle time.  good luck!

as for the sage tea, i don't think it would be harmful, but i also don't think it is necessary.

Jennifer, Mom to Ivan - pagan naturalist, scientist, naturopath-in-training
supermom7112219
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Freezing a cabbage leafs and putting in your bra dries up breast milk.  i would only wear the bra and do this in the house because the cabbage will smell funny.

Bethsunshine
by Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I just looked up on the internet for you, and the website I saw, www.kellymom.com says that the sage tea isn't harmful or toxic while nursing; it's actually recommended if you want to wean as it will decrease your milk supply. There's a list on that site of what herbs are harmful while nursing, and that's not one of them!! Best of luck to you, I remember going through the engorgement when I weaned my youngest and it just about killed me!! I wish I known about the sage tea then!!

mommy2bunny
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:16 AM

I drank it and it helped A LOT!  I wasn't even engorged or anything!  I'll definately use it again when/if the time comes, plus I'll recommend it to other moms.  Thanks.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I just looked up on the internet for you, and the website I saw, http://www.kellymom.com/ says that the sage tea isn't harmful or toxic while nursing; it's actually recommended if you want to wean as it will decrease your milk supply. There's a list on that site of what herbs are harmful while nursing, and that's not one of them!! Best of luck to you, I remember going through the engorgement when I weaned my youngest and it just about killed me!! I wish I known about the sage tea then!!

CALsMama
by Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Yes! Sage is a great dyer-upper (lol, is that a term?). My BFF ate a small amount of Sage in her Thanksgiving stuffing and was dried up that weekend. Good luck! And yes, 16 months is AWESOME! I weaned DS at 12 months and DD is 14 months now, still nursing. We shall see how far  she goes! LOL!

momslife9118
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I ahve a similiar problem its been 3 yrs and I am not engorged or anything but if I squeeze milk still comes out.  I dont leak but its been 2 yrs since I breast feed and by bf told me a couple of months ago I still had milk so I squeezed it in the shower and sure enough here it comes...Can anyone explain that?  LOL

Teresagreb
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Quoting momslife9118:

I ahve a similiar problem its been 3 yrs and I am not engorged or anything but if I squeeze milk still comes out.  I dont leak but its been 2 yrs since I breast feed and by bf told me a couple of months ago I still had milk so I squeezed it in the shower and sure enough here it comes...Can anyone explain that?  LOL

That happened to me when I got pregnant while I was still nursing my first child.  When I stopped nursing him, the milk still kept coming throughout the whole pregnancy.  But, 3 years?  Wish I could help you more.

Maybe it's a hormonal thing?  Are you taking estrogen?

Teresagreb
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)