Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apple Sauce Cinnamon Ornaments

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

Here's the recipe we used for this batch. It makes a small batch enough for one child and 12 large ornaments.

1 c ground cinnamon
1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp nutmeg
2 tbsp white glue
3/4 c applesauce

Here's Richard adding the dried ingredients in a separate bowl. The recipe said to use ground cloves but we improvised and used Allspice instead. You can do that, you can substitute ingredients but make sure you use ground cinnamon.

Mix all the spices up good.

Add the glue to the applesauce.

And blend really well.

Now add the dried ingredients to the applesauce and glue.

Richard has to knead the applesauce cinnamon dough to a sticky like consistency. If the dough is too wet he adds more spices and vice versa.

Roll the dough out to a 1/4 inch thickness.

Use cookie cutters to make shapes. Here Richard is using a Gingerbread Man cookie cutter. He also used a prim heart, start, and small pumpkins.

Rel decided to make a snow man so we're trying it out to see how it dries. We used beads for the nose, eyes, and buttons. We used cinnamon sticks for the arms. As I write this the bottom and middle balls are cracking so now Rel and I are figuring out how to fix that. It's really cute. Just look at the next picture.

Rel has her heart set on selling this at the crafts fair. It really smells so warm and Christmassy!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
blessed33
by Michelle/Head Admin on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Can't wait to try these! It's as if I can smell them already! :)  Thanks for the post.

SophRichRel
by Yolanda/Admin on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Your Welcome! Glad you like it :) It's one of our favorite crafts to do and it makes the whole house smell warm and welcoming! 

Quoting blessed33:

Can't wait to try these! It's as if I can smell them already! :)  Thanks for the post.

blessed33
by Michelle/Head Admin on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, if I want to quickly have our home smelling good, I'll get a pot and throw in some orange peels, cloves, cinn,...etc.... and let it boil for awhile...also smells real good-for a quick fix. :)

Quoting SophRichRel:

Your Welcome! Glad you like it :) It's one of our favorite crafts to do and it makes the whole house smell warm and welcoming! 

Quoting blessed33:

Kathy112761
by Kathy/Owner on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought I had commented on thes but it's not here....I do remember writing it, but I think I forgot to click on Add Reply....lol...I'm losing it.

Anyway, I love these, I still have a heart like this that Kevin my oldest made in the first grade, so that makes it.....Hmmmm....like 23 years old. So they hold up well.

SophRichRel
by Yolanda/Admin on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Same here but we do that mostly during fall and Christmas but it would be nice all year round too! When I was selling Real Estate one of the Realtors at an open house would be some vanilla flavoring on a baking pan and bake it so the whole house would smell appealing. ~Yolanda~

SophRichRel
by Yolanda/Admin on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

That is so irritating right? Sometimes I'll write a whole journal post and instead of hitting the bottom button I hit the button on the right, Add Journal Post, I think is what it says and the whole thing gets wiped out!!! Arrgghhh! And there's no way to get it back either!

Wow! That's a long time, 23 yrs! My children and I only started making these like maybe 7 years ago? We Love it too! 

You can paint the front and leave the back for the fragrance :) ~Yolanda~

Quoting Kathy112761:

I thought I had commented on thes but it's not here....I do remember writing it, but I think I forgot to click on Add Reply....lol...I'm losing it.

Anyway, I love these, I still have a heart like this that Kevin my oldest made in the first grade, so that makes it.....Hmmmm....like 23 years old. So they hold up well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN