Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping the gender a surprise even though I really want a girl

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 327 Total Views

My husband and I are about to start TTC for our 3rd and final child.  After 2 boys I really want a girl.

DH and I have also talked about waiting until the baby is born to find out the sex.  We found out with our first 2 that they were boys at the 20 week ultrasound. 

Some of the reasons that I want to wait until the birth are:

1. this is our last baby no matter what, so boy or girl we will have no more
  2. it seems exciting and different to wait
  3. it would be my last chance to have this sort of surprise
  4. maybe looking at the baby when I hear it is a boy will keep me from feeling disappointed (I've heard some people say that waiting until birth can actually prevent you from having gender disappointment)

Some of the reasons that I think I want to find out at 20 weeks are:

1. I had gender disappointment with my second boy for about a week after we found out (I'm worried I may have disappointment when the baby is born)
  2. I can buy cute girl/boy clothes (I'm OK with having gender neutral everything except the wardrobe, but I could always just buy clothes when the baby is born)

What do you think? Why?

What are the reasons to either find out or not?  Would it be a good idea since I really prefer to have a girl?

Thanks

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lindsey_25
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

BUMP!

connorsmama06
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I had to find out. Faith was our last boy or girl. We got our girl but even if she was a boy I would have gotten over it fast. Good luck

creamnshugar
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I found out with my first two and want the last to be a surprise also for the same reasons my husband in the other hand gets so mad when I talk about not finding out cuz I think he is afraid of gender disappointment at birth for himself.
ajzuell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Whenever i have my last one I am NOT telling anyone the gender!  But then i thought  I may even for fun lie to them like if i am actually getting a girl and say boy LOL.

lindsey_25
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Thanks.

My husband is very excited about not finding out the gender, but I'm a little unsure.  Maybe once I do get pregnant I can figure out how I feel about it.

ajzuell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Look this up go to youtube.com, type in BEST.BABY SURPRISE.EVER! {It is by: geetaraub} a cute way a Lady announced that She actually had a girl after many boys. Everyone thought she was having a boy the whole pregnancy , they got a big surprise one the birth day, i so wanna do this so bad i pray i get a chance to LOL.  

3boysngirl
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I would want that surprise just in case it is another boy i would rather enjoy my pregnancy with excitement since it would be my last!

lindsey_25
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

That is a really good point.  I think the excitement would last the whole pregnancy with keeping the gender a surprise.  Thanks.

Quoting 3boysngirl:

I would want that surprise just in case it is another boy i would rather enjoy my pregnancy with excitement since it would be my last!

MomToBray
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I wanted so badly to not find out. I had 2 boys and the main reason I didn't want to find out was because I was afraid of reactions (both mine & others) if it was another boy. I didn't want anyone telling me they were sorry or anything like that. I thought once the baby was born, people would be less likely to say things like that or act disappointed.

But....I'm weak! I had to know. There was know way I could not find out, lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)