Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Science of Conceiving a Girl

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's take a look at the science of conceiving a baby girl. When trying to conceive a baby girl, it is first important to understand how conception works. The Y-carrying sperm (the one that results in a baby boy) is smaller and faster than the X-carrying sperm (the one that allows you to conceive a baby girl). The X (female) chromosome is slower, but more resilient. It moves through the acidic environment more slowly and safely to fertilize the egg in order to conceive a baby girl.

If you want to conceive a baby girl, your chances are higher when you have intercourse two to three days prior to ovulation, as the male sperm is faster and will arrive first, find that there is no egg and die off. In order to have the best chance of conceiving a baby girl, you need to pinpoint when it is that you are fertile. There are multiple ways to do this, and the more things you do, the better your chances.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND - even if you did every single one of these, it's still not a 100% guarantee... but it helps your chances significantly. The natural rate to conceive a girl is 55%. If you follow the diet, and watch your ovulation time religiously, you can up that chance to 80-85%.

A fertility tracker system uses your saliva to help determine your daily fertile status. Levels of estrogen in your saliva indicate when pre-ovulation begins, and as estrogen rises, a woman will be able to view a full pattern of ferns with a peak just a day or so prior to ovulation.

As light ferning can begin to occur three days prior to ovulation, this is the best time to conceive a baby girl. With 100 times magnification (twice as strong as other lipstick model fertility monitors), the Fertility Tracker allows you to spot your fertile days and predict ovulation long before other models.

http://www.fertilitytracker.com/

You can chart your temperature and track your cervical mucous as well, also known as "Natural Family Planning.

Two methods of natural family planning are currently taught. The first is the mucus or ovulation method. In this method, the days just before and just after ovulation are determined by checking the woman's cervical mucus. When a woman is most likely to become pregnant, the cervical mucus is stretchy, clear and slick. The mucus during this time looks and feels much like an uncooked egg white. Shortly before reaching the "eggwhite" stage, most women will notice their they are "wetter", but it will not be stretchy discharge.

The second method is called the symptothermal method. With this method, the woman takes her temperature each day with a basal body temperature thermometer and writes it down on a chart. At the time of ovulation, a woman's temperature will rise slightly (about .9°F). The woman also checks the consistency of her cervical mucus like she does with the mucus method. She may also notice other changes, such as pain in the area of the ovaries, bloating, low backache and breast tenderness.

http://se.babycenter.com/preconception/suspectingaproblem/chartingyourtemperature/

Another step is to watch your diet. For a girl,
try a pre-conception diet rich in calcium and magnesium. Cut down intake of salty foods and red meat. This will make your vagina more friendly to the X sperm, and LESS friendly to the Y sperm. This means, no chips and steak. Yogurt and fish are great.

Sex position also is posed to have an effect. As the Y sperm are faster, but less resilient, especially if you've been following the diet, this can make a difference. For girl conception, try to have more shallow penetration. You want the male sperm to die before they reach the egg, and the females to get through, so the further from the cervix the ejaculation occurs, the more the males have to get through to get to the egg.

I'm trying to keep this purely scientific. Everything here is based off of scientific fact. There are other suggestions, such as the Chinese Lunar Calendar, but if you're seriously trying for a girl, go for science.

If you type like an idiot, people will assume you are one.
Group Owner: Nestlé-Free Zone Check it out to learn about or join the boycott.
I Can Has Cheezburger? Love LOLZ Cats? Join the group!
CIO Alternatives:  How to get your baby to sleep without leaving them to cry.

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 12:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
genniems
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM

IDK if anyone answered u yet...but the thing about pH is if u are trying for a girl a more acidic environment is favorable since it is not so friendly to male sperm.  You can boost your  acidity by eating certain types of foods, supplements, etc. 

This lists some of the food to eat to improve having a girl.  Also avoiding orgasm for the woman is recommended as this makes your ph more alkaline which is not what you want if ttc a girl.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Foods-to-Eat-When-Wanting-to-Have-a-Baby-Girl&id=1590074

Quoting mommyofderek:

Ok I am totally freaking confused about all this pH and this and that. I do NOT want to have another boy so I need someone to dumb down this pH stuff TTC a girl stuff. Maybe I'm tired IDK but I need some help here either reply here or in PM 

Mommy2Nikolas
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Quoting Khurtsmom:

Quoting My2J.A.P.s:

Quoting aliciatron:

Quoting RanaAurora:

Quoting Turtlekisses:

I just wanted to add- Heat is another good thing. Male sperm have a harder time surviving in a hot environment.

I asked my husband to switch from boxers to boxer briefs (because they're tighter) 2-3 months before trying to conceive and we also took hot baths together before making love. That way not only was I getting warmer, he was also making it hotter for the male sperm. I did that on top of getting below a 5.0 pH and checking for ovulation (because I was irregular). We stopped on the day I got a positive ovulation test.

True that!  Very good point.

While I've seen no scientific evidence, my dad has noticed over his years that men who have desk jobs (and therefore are warming their "family jewels") seem to produce daughters much more often than men with jobs where they'd be standing and walking.

hm my dad had a desk job and had me his brother was a mechanic and had 2 boys.... interesting! my husband is a mechanic so i better get on him about wearing boxer briefs! oh and i've also noticed men who are more athletic have baby girls (which my husband isnt :p)

That is interesting!  My brother is a financial advisor (desk job) and has 2 daughters.  My husband is a supervisor at a meat-packing plant (also a cold environment) and we have 2 boys!  VERY interesting!  I can't wait to start TTC!  I want to use every scientific technique possible so I have no doubts we tried our best! 

Something else to think about, something my dad pointed out. Most pilots have daughters most race car drivers have sons, it's the different G's that are pulled.

My grandpa was a pilot and had 1 girl 2 boys, and my uncle (his son) is also a pilot and has 4 boys. I'm really excited to start TTC a girl!!! I found a name that hubby agreed to and everything, now we just need to get busy and think pink!

Has anyone ever followed the Chinese prediction charts and gotten a girl with that?

nshearon
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM

so, if you arent supposed to orgasm, how the heck do you NOT. lol. i mean seriously this is really hard for me, as i orgasm very easily....

*~Nikki~*

nshearon
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM

how low does your PH balance need to be? i was reading about it and the acidic area is supposedly bad for you. So, how low should it go?

*~Nikki~*

Is8enough
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:27 AM

A friend told me to douche with vinegar because it creates the acid environment that slows the male producing Y sperm. Does anyone else know if there is any truth to this method?

nicksmommy2005
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

How long should you be eating the diet and following the  method before you start to ttc? 

connorsmama06
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Quoting My2J.A.P.s:

Quoting aliciatron:

Quoting RanaAurora:

Quoting Turtlekisses:

I just wanted to add- Heat is another good thing. Male sperm have a harder time surviving in a hot environment.

I asked my husband to switch from boxers to boxer briefs (because they're tighter) 2-3 months before trying to conceive and we also took hot baths together before making love. That way not only was I getting warmer, he was also making it hotter for the male sperm. I did that on top of getting below a 5.0 pH and checking for ovulation (because I was irregular). We stopped on the day I got a positive ovulation test.

True that!  Very good point.

While I've seen no scientific evidence, my dad has noticed over his years that men who have desk jobs (and therefore are warming their "family jewels") seem to produce daughters much more often than men with jobs where they'd be standing and walking.

hm my dad had a desk job and had me his brother was a mechanic and had 2 boys.... interesting! my husband is a mechanic so i better get on him about wearing boxer briefs! oh and i've also noticed men who are more athletic have baby girls (which my husband isnt :p)

That is interesting!  My brother is a financial advisor (desk job) and has 2 daughters.  My husband is a supervisor at a meat-packing plant (also a cold environment) and we have 2 boys!  VERY interesting!  I can't wait to start TTC!  I want to use every scientific technique possible so I have no doubts we tried our best! 

I have been told this. But my DH is a PM and is behind a desk all day. We have two boys. Hopping for that girl.

allens_mom06
by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Quoting Turtlekisses:

i thought all sperm die in a hot environment. how long should a guy soak in a warm tub to kill the male sperm and not harm the female sperm?

Jocelynne8
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2010 at 12:27 AM

bump

NANA21
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Quoting Is8enough:

A friend told me to douche with vinegar because it creates the acid environment that slows the male producing Y sperm. Does anyone else know if there is any truth to this method?

My mom syas she douched about an hour before sex, and she had me!  She is telling me to try that as well since I want a girl.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN