Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG what is wrong with his butthole?! (update in reply)

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 549 Total Views

For the past 3 days I've notice Dobby going crazy and I mean crazy for his butt. He keeps licking his butthole, it is so gross and sounds disgusting on top of it. Hubs even took a bath wipe and wiped his butt for him the first day it started but it obviously didn't help. Whats weird is that he hasn't been dragging his butt on the carpet (which is also sick) but atleast that would give me a sign that its itchy or something. I've heard dogs have a gland in their butt that can fill up or something? Anyone know anything about that? or have ANY idea why he is going crazy for his butt?! He is driving me crazy..with disgust that is lol.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beckie66
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:46 AM

It sounds like you need to take him to the vet to have his anal sacks expressed. 

Lilypie - (E3tD)

tnlizard
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:49 PM

This may be too much info...sorry...

Is his bottom sticking out further than normal?  If it is, take him to vet.

Is he conspated (does he have a hard time pooping) Sometimes that will make them very uncomfortable, and you can add two or three drops of mineral oil to their food to help them go.

Check him also...for a hair of string hanging out...Don't know why or how..but somehow they can manage to ingest our hair or strings from toys or even the red string off the bolinga..and it will pass stringy and stomtimes get stuck.  

It may be the anal glands also...some groomers will express them also.  

Good luck with your little guy...hope he gets relief soon!

Mommasboy02
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I know when those glands start acting up on the doggies, they smell terribly !!

stick out tongue mini

fibromom
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 3:42 AM

Sounds like a gland problem to me.  It could be a bite though.  Is it red at all?

_rexie
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Okay I've been watching him and he isn't constipated.. I've also noticed that he hasn't been stinky. I remember my ex's dog used to have his butt gland fill up quite a bit and he would stink up the whole room (almost like a fishy smell).. and Dobby wasn't stinky at all. Finally this morning I got him to let me get a decent look at him, and its not his actual butthole, its like a tumor or cyst growing off to the side of his butt :( Hes been chewing on it and its getting a little bloody. I am really really upset about this, we are expecting our 2nd daughter in 6 weeks and theres no way we can afford surgery for him (we don't even have a double stroller yet!). I am going to call around and still take him in to get checked out to get it diagnosed but chances are if its really expensive I won't be able to do much and it kills me. I won't be able to get him in until Friday which is pay day for us..so hopefully its not as bad as it looks.. but it doesn't look pretty. I'm 80% sure its grown in the past few days a lot too because you can get a glimpse of it without even lifting his tail up now and I didn't notice it  when he first started chewing his butt a few days ago. On top of it all.. my hubs is like "that stupid gay dog would get a butt tumor".. and I'm like don't you feel bad? Hes my baby you know that.. and he said ~ oh hunny, we'll get you another one eventually. I know in the future I could get another doxie but thats NOT the point :'(

tnlizard
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Maybe it's somethink like a hemorid...We had a dog once that had something like that, and the vet just snipped it off...didn't even numb it or anything!   OUCH!!!!

If he needs a surgery procedure...call around shop for the best price...My neighbors doxie pup needed rectal surgery and the original price was $700, and she ended up finding a vet to do it for 130, and everything is fine now...

Good luck with your little guy...We get very attached to them.  

beckie66
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I hope you can find a vet in your budget who can help him.  Keep us posted please :) 

fibromom
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I hope you can get some good news tomorrow, maybe it won't be so bad. keeping my fingers crossed for you!

buryherdead
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Okay ladies.. I'm back from Dobby's vet visit. He has an impacted anal gland and the vet told me this can be cured 3 ways.. 1) antibiotics with an 85% success rate 2) sedation and a booty catheter to drain the gland with a 95% rate 3)surgery to cut off the gland - he assured me this is the WORST case scenario and he can't even remember the last time he had to perform that. I am SO glad.. I asked the price of the sedation/catheter just to see what we were up against in case the antibiotics didn't work and its $150 .. not something I look forward to spending around the holidays but its nothing we can't handle.. so I feel 1000 times better! Of course, I hope it won't come to that and have faith the antibiotics will work just fine for my little man :)

oh btw this is Rexie, LOL i forgot i made a new name.. no wonder I couldn't edit the post.. Duh

beckie66
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Quoting buryherdead:

Okay ladies.. I'm back from Dobby's vet visit. He has an impacted anal gland and the vet told me this can be cured 3 ways.. 1) antibiotics with an 85% success rate 2) sedation and a booty catheter to drain the gland with a 95% rate 3)surgery to cut off the gland - he assured me this is the WORST case scenario and he can't even remember the last time he had to perform that. I am SO glad.. I asked the price of the sedation/catheter just to see what we were up against in case the antibiotics didn't work and its $150 .. not something I look forward to spending around the holidays but its nothing we can't handle.. so I feel 1000 times better! Of course, I hope it won't come to that and have faith the antibiotics will work just fine for my little man :)

oh btw this is Rexie, LOL i forgot i made a new name.. no wonder I couldn't edit the post.. Duh

Oh that is great news! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)