Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scouts or money makers?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:48 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 253 Total Views

For the moms of older players, how many showcases have you been to that have promised that it would be heavily scouted, and how many scouts have you actually seen? I have been to many many showcases and have only seen a handful of scouts. Most of the showcases, I don't see any at all. I think that only a select couple of teams are actually scouted, and that the rest of the showcase is a big money maker for the organizations.lts a shame too when kids go in expecting to be scouted and it's obvious that there arent any there. The only showcase/ tournament that I have been to where I have seen a bunch of scouts is the Chowder Cup. Even Hockey Night In Boston isn't so heavily scouted as they promise. One of the scouts for the QMJHL told me that not many go to Hockey Night In Boston anymore

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BostonHockeymom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I've been to some where they've said that it would be heavily scouted and I didn't see many or even anyone there either. Adam said he thought junior hockey was suppose to be getting players prepared for college and higher levels, he doesn't understand why there aren't any scouts there when they said there will be.

goaliemom93
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Last year one of the dads on Dylans team was a division3 college coach and one night at practice a few of us were talking about the showcase tournaments he said they basically are money makers. He told us if he goes to a showcase tournament there are a select few players he has on his list and unless your son is on the same team or playing against that team and happens to have a great shift they don't get seen. As he explained it there are so many teams at the big showcases there is no way a scout can concentrate on the players they are there to see and notice other players too. Surprisingly even when the team Dylan practiced with last year went to Nationals there were very few scouts there! His team made it to the finals and not one player got a call from a scout saying they had seen them there.Unfortunately the older Dylan gets the more we are learning that knowing someone or someone who knows someone is more of a way to move up than playing well.
kaarina
by Group Owner on Oct. 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Quoting goaliemom93:

Last year one of the dads on Dylans team was a division3 college coach and one night at practice a few of us were talking about the showcase tournaments he said they basically are money makers. He told us if he goes to a showcase tournament there are a select few players he has on his list and unless your son is on the same team or playing against that team and happens to have a great shift they don't get seen. As he explained it there are so many teams at the big showcases there is no way a scout can concentrate on the players they are there to see and notice other players too. Surprisingly even when the team Dylan practiced with last year went to Nationals there were very few scouts there! His team made it to the finals and not one player got a call from a scout saying they had seen them there.Unfortunately the older Dylan gets the more we are learning that knowing someone or someone who knows someone is more of a way to move up than playing well.

This is what I have found. It's mostly in who you know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)