Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with dilemma regarding youth in house rec league

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

Firtst and foremost this is our 1st year in the in house rec league in our area . My son just turned 12 and is really still just learning to play and to skate well. Here's the dilemma we have 2 teams we play every weekend ( rotating) in our pee wee/squirt league 11 and 12 years old boys and girls. One of the teams has a excellent player who is 2 years older and all the kids cringe when we play this team this kid is at least 6' and over 180lbs he's big and a great player he scores every goal . Yes our team is in last place but in house league is supposed to be fun. Anyways I have been to every game and there is always 2-3 parent's complaining that this other kid should not be playing in this division due to his age. Yesterday I heard over 6 people in the stands complaining , parents have complained to the coaches etc. This league is expensive over $600 for the season 3 months and over $600 in gear I know hockey is exspensive. Anyways what should we do just deal with and continue to lose to this team , our players won't even show it for our games anymore with this team so we have had to borrow a goalie for over 8 games, a game was scheduled on Halloween at 6:30 pm and only 3 kids showed we made our son go he wanted to play we were going to make him play even if it was Halloween the coaches didn't even show (crappy). We have a month and 1/2 le ft and the parent's want this kid off the team what do we do?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DandEMom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

In house rec leagues are for fun.  It's tough, because they are expensive.  Unfortunately though, if this player is within the age limit for the league, regardless of size, then there isn't much you can do.  There is always at least on kid like that in every league - the biggest, best player.  Here is my point of view.  Every sport has a winner and a loser.  Being a winner is great and all with all the confidence building,  but being the loser is how kids get better, grow, learn and respect the sport, the team and themselves.  By not having kids play because of one kid is sending the wrong message to your kid and the entire team/league.  Sports isn't only about playing the game, it's about respect, giving, and learning how to perservere.  Kids need to be taught that before they can be the "best" player.  W/o those in place, hockey is only a stick and puck.  In life itself, there will always be bigger better people in whatever you do.  That's how life goes.  As far as halloween, it's a shame that they even scheduled a game at this age.  My son's league had no practices or games for the kids.  Even more so, if the coaches didn't show, and didn't call (which obviously they didn't because some kids showed), then they should be removed from their position.  They are obviously laying the grounds for this bitterness and type of behavior.  I also think the parents that are openly bashing this kid are setting those grounds for their children as well.  Instead, use it as a learning lesson.  Why back down to the big kid?  Why be the sore loser?  Why let this team win w/o at least trying???

Now, with that LOL!!! I totally understand how frustrating it can be.  It's not "fun" for your kid losing to this team all the time.  Check that this kid is in the right league for his age.  Ask if he can be moved to a higher level, so he can play on a level that he can grow from.  Last year my son exceled in his league.  He wasnt the biggest, but he was the dreaded player on the undefeated team.  So, as parents, we wanted him to be able to play cometitively.  We tried him out for a more competetive league.  And now, he plays at his level to where he can grow and learn.  It's a shame that this player's parents dont push for that. 

kaarina
by Group Owner on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

You need to find out if this player falls within the age limits of the level that you are in. If not, then you can go to your local hockey board, the district hockey board, and the state hockey board to have him moved up to the proper age level. If he is in the correct level, then you just have to take it. There is always one kid that's bigger and better than everyone else.

LUVSDOGS
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM

That's just it even the coaches have confirmed that he is too old to be in the age group of 97/98 pee wee/ squirt players but they and the coaches even for this kid's team REFUSE to do anything about it . I figure in about 2 to 3 weeks most of our will fail to show for the reast of the season. It's crap what it is and guess who always gets stuck guarding him my 75 lb 5'4 age 12 son that just really learned this year to skate...LOL

DandEMom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Well, if he truly is too old, then you can contact the league yourself.  I know in my son's league they all have to be registered through USA Hockey - not sure if this is a nationwide thing.  Plus they have the leauge rules themselves.  Find out who heads your league, call, email or write them about this player.  If other parents do the same, I am sure you will see change.  It's not fair to put him in a different age bracket, and more not fair to have kids dropping out because of it.

Quoting LUVSDOGS:

That's just it even the coaches have confirmed that he is too old to be in the age group of 97/98 pee wee/ squirt players but they and the coaches even for this kid's team REFUSE to do anything about it . I figure in about 2 to 3 weeks most of our will fail to show for the reast of the season. It's crap what it is and guess who always gets stuck guarding him my 75 lb 5'4 age 12 son that just really learned this year to skate...LOL

goaliemom93
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM
If you know the kid is too old for the division then go to the board, try to get as many parents as possible to go with you.
Quoting LUVSDOGS:

Icecat62
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Rules are rules. Take this issue to the board and have the kid kicked off the team. The parents and his team should be ashamed to cheat by letting him play at a level he is beyond. The things people will do to be number one is unbelievable. It goes on at all levels. You shouldn't need a group of parents, one person proving he's ineligible and he should be gone. If he was the deciding factor in that team winning games this season, they should forfeit those games as well as it was a violation of the league rules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)