Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thank you, Hockey Moms!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 239 Total Views

Only other hockey moms would appreciate this one...

My son had a 5:00 practice last night at a rink 30 minutes away. I made arrangements for my oldest to get a ride home from CCD and my mum came over to watch my two little ones. (I try not to bring my 2 and 3 year olds with me when practice is held at this rink, it is knee-knocking, miserably cold). I packed up my son's gear and his snack and we drove to the rink. We had to park in a lot down the street and walked in the freezing cold to his practice. I had his bag over my shoulder and his hockey stick in one hand, a coffee in the other. As we got closer this large group of older boys, wearing school uniforms, was approaching. Patrick (my son) had his head down and was concentrating on navigating the icy sidewalk wearing most of his padding. The boys good-naturedly parted for him and as he walked through the middle of them they were smiling at each other and one said, "Awww, I remember those days." And as I followed another said, "Yeah, no matter how cold it was your mother took you to pratice and carried all your stuff for you."

It was one of those moments where it made me realize that they do appreciate everything we do. Sniff...

happymomwithfourkidsfamily car

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
22hockeymom22
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM

That is super nice to know that those boys remembered and appreciated their moms efforts.  Its most often not acknowledged by our kids unless prodded to do so by their coaches.  I don't know your rink/parking lot situation, but it doesn't sound like much fun.  We've always been fortunate enough that the rinks we've practiced at have their own lot, and the rule has always been, you want to play hockey  -  you carry the gear.  We started that at mites.  However the downside to all of it is the closest rink to us is 30 minutes and we hardly ever play there; we play 99% of the time at a rink 45 minutes away.   Anyway, I hope your son has the same fond memories as the older boys someday.

Happy hockeying!!

goaliemom93
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww that brought a tear to my eyes. You know they would probably never admit that to their own mommas! My son is now 15 so he is one of the "bug guys" a couple of weeks ago the learn to play (termites here) was going on after his high school game and the little guys looking up to them was so nostalgic for me because it seems like just yesterday my son was the little guy.

Darlene-driver, scheduler, personal chef, equipment manager to Dylanblowing bubbles

kaarina
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

When my son was a squirt, I was carrying his bag for him, and his coach kicked him in the butt and said don't ever let me see your mother carrying your bag for you again! LOL! I never did carry it again! I'll bet those boys would make their Mom's day if they just went home and told them what you heard them saying.

22hockeymom22
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Quoting kaarina:

When my son was a squirt, I was carrying his bag for him, and his coach kicked him in the butt and said don't ever let me see your mother carrying your bag for you again! LOL! I never did carry it again! I'll bet those boys would make their Mom's day if they just went home and told them what you heard them saying.

My husband used to coach high school hockey, and I saw a dad carrying his son's bag; I almost choked.  I knew the man, and said something to him about it (I made sure to say it in front of the son hoping to embarrass 17 yr old boy into carrying his own bag) in a joking way.  He serously responded to me that his son was too tired to carry his own bag; and no lie, he carried his son's bag after every game.  I told that boy that my then 8 year old carries his own bag to and from every practice and game, and he should be ashamed at letting his dad carry his bag for him while watching all his teammates carry their own; he didn't bat an eyelash at the idea.  My son is now a 2nd year PW and knows better than to even ask us to carry his gear no matter how tough the game was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)