Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Haas vs. California avacado

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:12 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 182 Total Views
I just wanted anyone's thoughts about avacados.  Up until this past week I've always made my guacamole with Haas avacados.  There were california avacados on sale at one of the local stores so I decided to try them.  I felt that they didn't have as much flavor or heartiness.  By heartiness I mean, when I pulsed the avacados in my processor they turned almost watery.  Maybe it was just a bad batch though.  I'm not sure, so I wanted to find out others opinions.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MeganRath
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:41 PM
I grew up in Fallbrook, Ca, which is considered the avocado capital of the world. I haven't heard of a "breed" called California. You probably just got a bad batch that happened to be from California, because I've never had an avocado turn watery on me. Maybe it wasn't quite ready. Ripeness has a lot to do with their consistency and flavor. If you're avocados are even the slightest bit hard, they aren't ready. Haas are the most popular, but I really enjoy Bacon and Pinkerton Avocados. But if Haas are what are good in your area, I'd stick to those. Also, for guacomole, try using a fork and smashing the avocados, instead of using a food processor... it leaves it chunkier, and easier to dip, and the avocados don't get over smashed, which may also lead to wateriness. Hope this helps a little. :)

~Megan Rath

Whats Cooking Good Looking group owner, and mommy to beautiful Sophia.

kmcjcd
by Member on Jul. 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM
I always thought Haas were from Cali. Anyway, I usually buy Haas, but we had "Florida" ones at the store on sale and I bought those. They were bigger and lighter color green. They werent very good and ,like you said, watery. My SIL grows avacados in her backyard and they are the same too. Im sticking with Haas, all the way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)