Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help...I need some advice..PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 323 Total Views

Ok, I have a vendor fair to go to nest Friday for the are chapter of Home school parents. It is for people that are offering services for the home school sector, BUT this is also open to the general public AND there wont be anyone else there setting up for ART!! YEAH!!!

Ok, I have a vendor fair to go to nest Friday for the are chapter of Home school parents. It is for people that are offering services for the home school sector, BUT this is also open to the general public AND there wont be anyone else there setting up for ART!! YEAH!!!

Now here is my problem. I don't know what to charge!!!! I have no idea. BUT I do have a business plan....or curriculum laid out..

I am gonna offer a 6 week ( 6 hour total) class. For the first couple I will just give out a supply list and let them get their own supplies b/c I don't want to build up an inventory to not get but a couple of people at a time..kwim??( when/if I ever start suppling materials, I will compensate myself.

I can't find anyone around here that offers this particular thing..so I have no idea how to judge it . I have taken some other classes outside of college before..but they were for pottery, and a watercolor one..and they were for adults,..longer class time..and A LOT of money. I don't want to make the price so much that no one want to pay for it, but I also want to make money too. 

Please give me any ideas..suggestions, HELP.. anything you can come up with will be great!!

thanks in advance!!!

by on Jul. 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ArtistMom1
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I don't know how many kids each class you are talking about.  Or you are traveling to people's house to give their kids privet lesson.  How much is your time worth to you?  I have charge kids lesson in my house for $80 each kids for 4 classes and 90mins . each class.  That was over 10 years ago.  And no more then 10 kids each class.

As interior designer.....the market price is about $75-150 per hr.  I only charge $ 40 /hrs. since I only work with return customers because I am home with my son. My hour is not as flexible.

Hope this help.

soccerjunki
by on Jul. 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Quoting ArtistMom1:

I don't know how many kids each class you are talking about.  Or you are traveling to people's house to give their kids privet lesson.  How much is your time worth to you?  I have charge kids lesson in my house for $80 each kids for 4 classes and 90mins . each class.  That was over 10 years ago.  And no more then 10 kids each class.

As interior designer.....the market price is about $75-150 per hr.  I only charge $ 40 /hrs. since I only work with return customers because I am home with my son. My hour is not as flexible.

Hope this help.

Thanks!!

I will be having the kids come to my house. I am going to try to have as many in a given class, but no more than ten at a time..that just wouldn't give them enough attention.I do like your 90 mins though. My husband said that I would need to charge Way more than I was thinking for 2 hours, but to me..IMO..1 hour isn't long enough..I like the 1 1/2 Idea. I am playing around with $30 per hr, with 9 hours of total class time( divided into 6 weekly classes). that would bring my total to $270 for the entire class.

What do you think about that?? I just feel really bad charging that much ..but I also need to be compensated for my set up and clean up time for class..and for teaching.I have some really good ideas to incorporate into the curriculum..

thanks for the idea..Please let me know if you have any more...

ApplesnCarrots
by Member on Aug. 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I have no idea since I've never taught classes but the above advice sounds good to me.

istaria1124
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM

What kind of class is it going to be, I know you said for children but is it going to be geared toward a piticular style?  Since you are asking students to cover their own supplies you might want to consider that since some can be really expensive while otehrs really cheap, of course this also depends on quiality and brand.  As far as pricing I have never taught any classes but I did get soem good advice from one of my former instructors, tho it was in reference to selling paintings. he said a good starting prce for the beginning was about $100 pr hour of time you put into the painting. I would think that for classes if you went somewhere between 1/2 to a 1/4 of that it would be a good price. I know that there are art classes in my area that ofer 2 sesions for 100.

soccerjunki
by on Aug. 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM

it is going to be for kids to start with..but I am hoping to maybe get some adults for a separate class eventually too. The first one will be a basic in fundamentals class..working on tone, shading, perspective..etc..

I will have a small supply list for them..as I am not going to go into the hole by getting a bunch of supplies and not having enough students. I am also going to offer  some more advanced classes where other mediums will be explored..I may have to offer supplies then because I want everyone to use the same things..I will adjust my price accordingly then..

doright
by on Oct. 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I taught classes in polymer clay sculpting.  I charged $10. per hour, they bought their own supplies, I brought some tools for them to use at the class.  I usually had anywhere up to 6-10 per class. That averages to $60.00-$100.00 per hour.   I didn't add anything extra for clean up because the average hourly for me was good enough to compensate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)