Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OK Mom's, tell me what you think...

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 391 Total Views

My daughter is in a H.S. Freshman level art class, It seems that the teacher is teaching incorrect vocabulary. She came home talking about something that "is an art element.." that is simply a design requirement for the project.  What do you do when your kids teachers don't use proper vocabulary with the kids and get them all confused or do other things that just aren't right? Do you just correct tthe teacher at home, give the kid the proper info. and advise on how to complete the project and get a good grade; or do you talk with the teacher? I just hate to get their hackles up, especially if I know more about the elements and principals of Art.

by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Artladydp
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Well, what I've found is that teachers do not like to be corrected.  It usually makes it difficult on your child if you talk to the teacher.  I always tried to save those talks for the major issues.  I know it's not right.  But, your child's peace of mind and environment in the class is what's most important.  So, I think you may just have to go along with the teacher.  Sad, but true.

Debby

Strawbanana
by on Mar. 13, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I usually head to the library and we discuss the topic... and luckily she has some great teachers, and she has once or twice, talked to them about what she found, and asks questions.  Never in class time, more of an after class discussion.  Sometimes there is a reason, and sometimes it was sort of "lost in translation"  and she needed the clarification.

Nita9
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I think you should just tell your child your opinion without saying outright that the teacher is wrong. You child may have misunderstood what the teacher said. Just say that the teacher sees it this way but YOU see it that way and let your child decide which makes more sense to her. Art is very subjective, after all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)