• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical Issues & Adoption

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 369 Total Views

I am the biological mother and am allowing my daughter's paternal grandmother to adopt my child. When she is adopted, she is going to be entitled to military benefits (including medical). Her grandmother though tells me that I will still be responsible for my daughter's medical costs AFTER the adoption goes through and until everything is processed w/ the gov't for her benefits.

That's not accurate, right? Once the adoption goes through, I am no longer responsible for any costs of her (including medical and child support). Anyway, if anyone has had a similar experience and/or knows the answer to this ?, please respond.

Thanks!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ashleymalefyt
by New Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:08 AM
as far as I know, once she has adopted her, and the child is legally hers - there will be no financial obligations on your part.
ASH TREE PHOTOGRAPHY!
PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND DESIGN IN GRAND RAPIDS, MI
WEB.MAC.COM/ASHTREEPHOTO
LuvAdoptedKids
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I agree with the prior poster.  Once the adoption is finalized, you are no longer responsible for anything.  I'm so glad that you are choosing to keep an open relationship with your child and have chosen a placement that will do the same with you. 

Tracy Waring

Learn more about our family by checking out our links below
Embryo Adoption blog    Living Stones ministry 

twobutterflys
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM
I think once you relinquish and sign your rights away you are no longer responsible for the child. The child may go on assistance through the state during the time period prior to finalization. After finalization, the adoptive parents are responsible. Our insurance (I am an adoptive mom) paid our daughters hospital stay when they were born. Not there birthmom's bill which we assisted in paying. Also...each state has different laws. I would find out the laws in your state. You can do this on the internet.
tigerandskyler
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Thank you to all 3 people above that responded to my ?. That  is basically what I thought but her grandmother sometimes tries t make my life difficult. Don't get me wrong, she loves my daughter like her own children and treats her fantastic thus why I agreed to this arrangement but the grandmother still will try to make my life hard. She can be a real b--ch at times with me. Oh well. My sister thinks that she will not allow me to see or talk with my daughter once the adoption goes through. She said that she will have all the power and will cut her out of my life. I told my sister that i t is an open adoption so by law she has to keep in touch me. I said that but I actually am not 100% sure if that is accurate. Can I take her to court if she does do something like that or am just plain screwed?

nookers
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Once the adoption is complete, she will have all responsibilities. The judge will ask her (as part of the proceedings) if she is willing to take on all aspects of raising this child as if her own including any and all inheritance and financial obligations. Once the adoption is complete it is her right to allow the child to see you or not. Open adoption can be changed at any time. You will not be the one with any say on this matter. She needs to sit down with her adoption worker and go over her role as an adoptive parent. (ie financial obligations)

NOOKERS<><
ameliasmama1026
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Open adoption is not enforceable in most if not all states. If she is making your life hard now can you imagine how hard she will make it after you place your daughter? As the adoptive parent she is responsible for all financial and medical support of the child.

Love and Hugs

Mandi

tigerandskyler
by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Quoting nookers:

Once the adoption is complete, she will have all responsibilities. The judge will ask her (as part of the proceedings) if she is willing to take on all aspects of raising this child as if her own including any and all inheritance and financial obligations. Once the adoption is complete it is her right to allow the child to see you or not. Open adoption can be changed at any time. You will not be the one with any say on this matter. She needs to sit down with her adoption worker and go over her role as an adoptive parent. (ie financial obligations)

Thanks for your response but I have 2 more ?'s.What did you mean when you said, "Open Adoption can be changed at any time'? & the 2nd ? is what if she doesn't agree  to the financial obligations when she is before the judge? Does that mean I am still responsible after the adoption despite having no rights to my daughter or does it mean that adoption won't  go through?

jle1974
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I would assume if she doesn't agree to the financial obligation, the judge would not agree to the adoption.  I am not understanding all of this.  Why would she want you to pay for the medical bills?

Second.  I don't know what state you live in, but in Ohio, once the adoption is final, it is up to the adoptive parent how much openess you have.  There is no legal obligation to have an open adoption.  You can agree upon one, but they really don't have to follow through with it.   Openness here means that you know who they are and they know who you are. 

Hope this helps.  Please let us know how things are going.

Steff107
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM

From what I understand, when you adopt a child, you are taking on everything that child needs. You are assuming complete responsibilty for that child, including medical care.  When my Mother adopted my son he was added to her benefits.  If you relinquish your rights as a parent, you relinquish all responsibility to another person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)