Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 1st appointment *UPDATE*

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

Today I had my first appointment with the midwife. We went through my history and took blood. Then they tried to listen to the baby's heartbeat. She couldn't find it even though she tried for a long time. I'm 12 weeks but there is a lot of padding where the baby should be so I guess I shouldn't be surprised they couldn't get it. She told me to come back in a week to try again. I don't know if I want to. If I have to go through that again - you know,  laying there in all my glory, waiting to hear something that is impossilbe to hear....I'd rather not. I think I'd like to wait 4 more weeks till my next appointment where baby can have a chance to grow bigger.

What's your experience? What would you do?

UPDATE -

This morning I called my midwife and told her I'd like to have an ultrasound. Waiting four weeks, ,or even one week is going to drive me crazy! She agreed and called it in. (I'm having the baby at a freestanding birth center so they do not do ultrasounds there - which is why they didn't/wouldn't have done one yesterday).

I had my appointment within 2 hours. The first thing I asked for was the vaginal ultrasound (why bother w/ the other kind if it's not likely to work?) but the tech said "NO." They wanted to try the other way 1st. 

Long story - short....the baby is fine.  (S)he waved at me and gave me a good kick in the side. The heart beat was 160-168. I can't express how relieved I am!

Once I get the ultrasound pic scanned, I'll share it anyone wants to see.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lilmomma8287
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM

thats kinda weird. I weigh 250 lbs and my doc was able to hear mine almost immediatly at a little over 10 weeks. he was really shocked. So i guess i would reccomend going back in a week. Normally if they cant get a heartbeat they will do an in office ultrasound to confirm the heart is beating and that there are no problems.

CafeMom Tickers
lovingeveryday
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM

My doctor said he wouldn't even try until I was about 14 weeks to listen to the heartbeat because being overweight can make it difficult to find the baby to listen to the heartbeat.  He checked it last week when I was 16 weeks and found it after a few minutes of searching.  so I would say don't be too hard pressed to rush back in a week to try to hear it.  If they can't hear it by 16 weeks then there might be a problem, but not hearing it by 12 weeks is not totally uncommon.  If they cannot hear the heartbeat at your next appointment then standard procedure would be to do an ultrasound so if they do not offer one, demand one from them.  With my first OB during my first pregnancy he refused to do one at first so I went to the ER...turns out the baby did not have a heartbeat..then again I was only 9 weeks at that point.  Just remember, being overweight can cause difficulties with hearing the heartbeat and makes it so that the first ultrasound usually has to be done vaginally rather than externally...gotta love the extra padding lol. 

lilmomma8287
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I am so glad everything turned out ok. Congrats on ur baby

CafeMom Tickers
Cassidysmom611
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I am glad everything is okay!!! Thats awesome news.

Congrats hun, whats your EDD?

Diane

its a girlKeira Joy

baby

mypbandj
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

I am glad everything is okay!!! Thats awesome news.

Congrats hun, whats your EDD?

Diane

its a girlKeira Joy

May 29th

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)