Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you deal with this? ????

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 399 Total Views
Hi im Mimi and im pregnant with my first. Me and my fiance are having a lil girl.Im mixed (black nd white) my fiance is white also. Now when I was growing up it was a big deal I would be picked on and things like that. So my question is for the moms with older children how did u explain their ethnicity to them or was it not a "problem"
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
b_elle_w
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I'm  not a mom yet but I have family members with biracial children and some of them had to deal with the same problem. My niece is black and hispanic but looks completely hispanic. She is 10 years old and never had a problem with her ethnicity until taking a standardized test at school and to fill in her ethnicity. She was confused as to what she should bubble in and thats when her mom sat her down and told her that she has "two" ethnicities and was both african american and hispanic and for now on she should bubble in both

msclover70
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM

My dauhter is seven and hasn't had to deal with this yet. I explained to her when she was three about this cause i put her in a predomiately white academy. Now she's in public school and well adjusted being two races is more common now.

Ali32
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I agree that being bi racial/multi racial is more common now. I was in school in the 80's and it wasn't so common then. Got a lot of looks and comments at school and in the community. My DD is only 4 and hasn't had to deal with this yet. Although people are always asking what she is. 

Quoting msclover70:

My dauhter is seven and hasn't had to deal with this yet. I explained to her when she was three about this cause i put her in a predomiately white academy. Now she's in public school and well adjusted being two races is more common now.

sweet_tx_chick
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I would start explaining as soon as they are old enough to understand... but until then, it really shouldn't be a big deal. With my sons, I always enphasized thier African-American heritage just so they enderstand how wonderful that it is and that they are perfectly just as normal as any other child in thier school.

Bi-racial or mixed race children are growing in number very quickly in this country so I doubt your child will feel alone in that regard by the time she's old enough to be in school.

msclover70
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Well it a little different for my daughter. Since all she hear is she looks like her father, I teach her to respect everything that she is, and that what makes her you. Most of the black kids tease but i teach her to ignore ignorance. i tell my daughter she doesn't have to act ghetto to show her blackness. I was not raised that way and expect better from my daughter. I tell my daughter to be herself and your true friends will love you for that no matter what.

sweet_tx_chick
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Telling your daughter to be herself and ignore ignorance is really good advice...

My boys stand out at thier school because of thier complexion and thier hair is really like thier dad's, but so far they haven't faced any kind of teasing (as far as I know anyway) and they get along well with the other children who are white. I also would never want them to act ghetto (thier dad is VERY ghetto by the way!).

Quoting msclover70:

Well it a little different for my daughter. Since all she hear is she looks like her father, I teach her to respect everything that she is, and that what makes her you. Most of the black kids tease but i teach her to ignore ignorance. i tell my daughter she doesn't have to act ghetto to show her blackness. I was not raised that way and expect better from my daughter. I tell my daughter to be herself and your true friends will love you for that no matter what.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)