Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small concern...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 844 Total Views

I have two small children...but I wonder how they will be treated in school. I never really thought about it until I spoke with an old friend and they told me her children get made fun of. I didn't think it existed in the schools...I know kids can be mean and I can't shelter them...I just wonder if anyone has had issues with their children in school about their race. I am hearing kids being spit on and pushed and being called "dirty". It freaks me out. I would just like to hear your experiences.

Double Trouble
Mother of four!
http://personalized2perfection.net
Make it mean that much more!
Personalized Gifts & Custom Apparel

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM

i guess it depends on where u live and what kind of people are in your town. i live in queens ny so this is a very diverse area so there is very little discrimination. just about every kind of race is excepted. here its normal to have mixed races.

fiddymommy
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I work with children and from what I have experienced being picked on can happen to any child no matter what race they are.we live in a very diverse town and there are a lot of mixed kids in their classes. I just teach my children to ignore the comments and be the bigger erson and walk away. If it persists I tell them to tell their teacher or the closest adult.

candyapple290
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I agree with the first poster about it depending on where you live. Two close friends of mine recently had to pull their children out of a school system because the harassment was affecting their grades. Their city is not that diverse and the adults don't take action when their child says something hateful. Though right over in my city their tons of mix families & children. My family fits right in. I would not fret to much over it if it happens maybe try to address the problem right then. Talk to the parent or teacher though it might not help. What matters most is what you instill in your babies and they embody the change you would like to see in others. Perhaps eventually the child that cause the problem will become ashamed and change.

spazz1007
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 6:16 AM

I LIVE IN A MIXED NEIGHBORHOOD. MAINLY WHITES AND AFRICAN AMERICANS. IN THE GRADE SCHOOLS HERE, IT'S VIRTUALLY UNHEARD OF KIDS TEASING THE OTHER KIDS BECAUSE OF THIER RACE. HOWEVER, THE HIGH SCHOOL IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. IT'S  MAINLY THE 2 RACES AT ODDS WITH EACH OTHER. I THINK THE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS COULD LEARN FROM THE YOUNGER ONES. CHILDREN ARE CRUEL AT TIMES AND TEASING HOWEVER UNPLEASANT IT IS, IS GOING TO HAPPEN. TEACH YOUR KIDS A STRONG SENSE OF SELF AND SELF WORTH, THEY SHOULD BE JUST FINE.

jewel7584
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree it totally depends on where you live.  I grew up with a diverse group of friends.  I am biracial (Mexican and Black) And it was never the children that had comments i use to get mean comments from ignorant adults.  I really ignored alot of the things because i knew if know one else love me my parents always did.  It is still alot of people in the world who cant look pass  the color of a persons skin and get to know them for who they are so racism will be in the world forever until everyone can focus on a person and not the color of their skin. 

lkalamba
by Member on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I have no issue with my daughter getting any strife from anyone.... We moved from a small town, she was the only noticeable biracial child in her school, to a larger town,   And we have no issue.  I think that out in the bigger world, it is becomming less and less.   If she does itisnt an issue as nothing has ever happened. Ive raised her to know about the world and how ignorant people can be. And how to handle thoes people.   

sweet_tx_chick
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM

This is something I've always worried about myself... my 2 young sons are bi-racial and the area we live in is by no means diverse (it's mostly white, with very few African Americans). My oldest son Alex started first grade this year and (so far) there haven't been any direct incidents of bullying or being made fun of because of his dark complexion. But it's still a big concern of mine for the future, and also when my younger son attends first grade next year.

One advantage I have that you may not have, is that since I live in a small town, it's easy to know the other child's parents (you will likely run into them in town often). So as I get to know thier children and they get to know mine outside of school, it lessens the risk of overt bullying or singling out my child for his appearance.

Ali32
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM

We live in a small town and DD hasn't had any problems this year in kindergarten. Her class is fairly diverse, 9 out of the 22 kids in her class are hispanic, black, or a mix of hispanic/black/or white. 

sweet_tx_chick
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Quoting Ali32:

We live in a small town and DD hasn't had any problems this year in kindergarten. Her class is fairly diverse, 9 out of the 22 kids in her class are hispanic, black, or a mix of hispanic/black/or white. 

Thank god for diversity! Wish my kids' school was more like this...

msclover70
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has more problems with the black girls, but i tell her to let them know she has a black mother who does not mind talking with their parents. Not saying any mother wouldn't stand up for their children, but i do not allow my child to tease or mistreat any child and if i find out she has she will be properly displine. Now their are quite a few biracial children in her school, but you still have ignorance in all races.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)