Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

advice!!

Posted by on May. 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 2233 Total Views
1 mom liked this
  • by New Member on May. 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM
  • hello everyone!!  Im new to this...Im 26 weeks prego n smoke about a pack a day....Im having an extremely guilty conscious about it tho...I currently have a six year old that I smoked while prego also n he is perfect!!  Just looking for some support because I would love to cut down a bit but for some reason I crave butts more when prego!!  Also wondering to the moms that smoked n givin birth how did the baby come out? healthy? under weight?  Im just getting extremely worried that Im affecting her greatly by smoking!  Please reply anyone with advice! TY

• by on May. 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    chloesmommy2766
    by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    My girl was fine. ;) if you're stressing I think that is bad too. If you're gonna stress then maybe you should quit. I would not stress. Maybe cut back?
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Barbznc
    by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I don't mean to be a judgmental b**ch about it (God knows there are enough of them when it comes to criticizing us smokers) but my advice to you is to not smoke when you're pregnant.  I stopped smoking when I was pregnant, and have friends who stopped too - and I bet you could do it too!  Good luck!

lakeoffire
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:30 AM
    if it feels good, then indulge, seems to affect the birthweight, not so bad, have had no unwanted effects through 4.
    mamma2B666
    by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Im in the same boat.. you arent alone.

lilrhonda
    by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    1 mom liked this

I smoked through all three of mine.  My second was born 3 weeks early and was small, but they are all fine and healthy.  It's really up to you if you want to quit, keep smoking or cut back, just make sure you eat right and be as healthy as you can be.

tiffinimariexox
    by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    1 mom liked this

i feel your pain i have been feeling extremely guilty as of late as well but you know what every doctor and appointment has said my little guy is perfect(their words) so im going to try and just chill out back down to three a day like i was in the beginning of pregnancy and take it from there. we shouldnt feel bad anymore because i honestly think its worse to be down and out about it all the time then just doing what we can to cut back

val55
    by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM

anectdotal evidence can prove anything but when dealing with your child you have to go with society at large and look at the averages and the data and they all say that you should cut down and then quit. sure you will find many who have had no problems but the risk is high and many have had problems.  i know for me it helped to know that the moment i had my body to myself again i would be able to light up so dont think about it as a permament thing, just something you need to get through.  it seems that doctors suggest not quiting cold turkey but cuting back and then quiting since your baby is dependent on the nicotine you are supplying to her and she needs it in the short term so you need to ween her off of it properly.

also ask yourself, do you want her to be a smoker?  because she will become a smoker very quickly the first time she tries it the more nicotine she gets used to in the womb.

hope this doesnt sound judgemental or anything since it isnt, i know how much you love your smokes and how hard it is to stop especially since you dont want to (why would you?) but you should for her sake.

good luck

sobermomof3
    by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Just the smell of cigarette smoke made me nauseous when I was pregnant.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    ES79
    by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Quoting sobermomof3:

Just the smell of cigarette smoke made me nauseous when I was pregnant.

I went through a phase (or phases) when cigarettes made me nauseous when I was pregnant, but there were other times when I absolutely, positively relished each cigarette I smoked.

heathermom77
    by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    1 mom liked this

I tried to cut back but I couldn't so I smoked about a pack a day throughout my pregnancy. My son who just turned 10 has some issues but they arent necessarily related to my smoking. He was born 3 weeks early and weighed just over 5lbs and he is still in less than the 5th percentile for weight. He is also speech delayed and has issues with the potty

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)