Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting child to take inhaler-new at this!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 1342 Total Views

So my dd was diagnosed with asthma about 2 months ago when she had been dry coughing in her sleep for weeks.  They put her on liquid albuterol and that helped, but we only used it for a week since we think the asthma is just induced by being sick.

Anyway, she is sick again so I took her to the doc and this time they gave us an inhaler with a spacer, but I can't get her to take it. 

Any suggestions of how to get her to take it would help.  She is 3 and VERY stubborn!  I have tried bribery (chocolate, money...), but that didn't even work. 

busy mom   Abby

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
momaof8
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM

You need to contact your dr. she may need a nebulizer with the mask if she is too young for the inhaler.  Don't wait if she needs the meds and doesn't get them her asthma may worsen and if she has an attack you will be helpless.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

AlexsMommy106
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:57 AM

With my almost 4 year old, I went to the craft store and found some foam stickers.  I let him decorate the outside of his spacer and the top of his nebulizer.  I can still clean the inside and since the stickers are foam they peel right off without leaving residue.  The ones I got are called Foamies (brand name), and since decorating his spacer and nebulizer, my Alex is much more interested in using them.  He also loves to show them to visitors!  LOL.  Other than that the only thing I would suggest is to do it as part of a routine, maybe right after breakfast, right after you get dressed, etc.  Once she learns to expect it every day at the same time, she may fight it less.  Just make sure she gets it every day, it only works if they get it as prescribed!  If she absolutely won't use it, call the doc back and let them know. Good luck!

gradenu
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I would definitely recommend the nebulizer - our doctor didn't even give my son an inhaler of any kind until he was about 5 or so. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)