Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to get an infant to sleep longer

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

Anyone have any tips on how to get a 4 week old to sleep longer at night? She usually goes 2 1/2 hours, sometimes 3, but rarely. Then she wants to eat and go back to sleep- same amount of time. I know she's still young yet, but I'd like to try.

~*~over 40 mom to three, (1) teenage boy and (2) girly girls
I'm a formula feeding/breastfeeding, disposable diapering,
co-sleeping, c-section mamaX3, feed on demand, baby-wearing, pro-circumcision, non-spanking, pacifier allowing, homeschooling, work-at-home mother to my childrren.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tc2cool
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Try giving her cereal...mix it in the bottle & make the nipple opening a little bit larger...use the point of a fork...Both of my children (one is 7 & the other is 2) were put on cereal when they were 10 days or less  old b/c formula wasn't filling them up & they were waking  up a lot to eat & then going back to sleep.  Also, try using room darkeners in her room & through out the house.  Worked with both of mine & they would sleep 6-8 hours at night at about 2-3 weeks of age.

singlemomma1025
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:40 PM

SWADDLE!!! i had went and bought a swaddler, it worked wonders my daughter was sleeping through the night at 1 1/2 months old. she would go to bed at around 11pm and not wake up till 7am. it was great. wish it was still that easy.

mexicomom
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I agree with the swaddling.  We swaddled our ds at night only after the first few weeks and it helped him slep thru the night by 2 months too.  ALso, don't talk to her at night.  Feed her & put her back to bed. During the day talk, sing, etc.  Good luck!

supermama68
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I do the swaddling every night. She has one of those koala swaddler thingies. She loves it. That doesn't do the trick unfortunately. I also feed her in the dark with just a nightlight in the room. I won't try the cereal in the milk just yet. Tried that with my oldest child when he was a couple months old and he choked on it.

~*~over 40 mom to three, (1) teenage boy and (2) girly girls
I'm a formula feeding/breastfeeding, disposable diapering,
co-sleeping, c-section mamaX3, feed on demand, baby-wearing, pro-circumcision, non-spanking, pacifier allowing, homeschooling, work-at-home mother to my childrren.

TweetJeep
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Quoting supermama68:

Thanks everyone. I do the swaddling every night. She has one of those koala swaddler thingies. She loves it. That doesn't do the trick unfortunately. I also feed her in the dark with just a nightlight in the room. I won't try the cereal in the milk just yet. Tried that with my oldest child when he was a couple months old and he choked on it.

I'm having the same issue with my 6 week old, sleeping 2 to 3 hours at a crack.  I'm a mom of 4 and am getting ready to give her formula and cereal combination.  The swaddling works for Lorelei only when you hold her and that's it!  I too, am bottle/breastfeeding mom, she likes to be rocked to sleep.  However, I think Lorelei has her days and nights mixed up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)