Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 months and still won't sleep through the night

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

my baby is 6 months and he still won't sleep through the night he wakes up every two hours or every twenty mins just depends on the night. he always wants a bottle. i've tried everything bath cereal you name it doesn't work. help help

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Read Dr. Ferber's book. Allowing him to have a botlle every two hours is making his body be hungry at those times..which can also lead to wet diapers..etc.. If you want to cut out his night time feedings, start at the earliest one. If his first bottle is two hours after he goes bed..start out night one with a bottle 30 min after the 2 hours, and increase by 30 min everynight (and to each subsequent feeding)until you get to your desired time. If he wakes after the set time, go ahead and feed him. Put him off from eating each night by rocking, singing, patting him back to sleep..whatever it takes. If you nurse..it's better to get your husband to do it. At six months (according to docs) your baby should not need to eat during the night. Try this first to see if you can eliminate all night feedings.first, or down to one. After getting down to one, either stick with the one, or try the progressive waiting approach, where you start at 3 min, 5, min, so on and increase your time each time.(letting him cry) I don't necessarily like the CIO approach all the time, but it sounds like this might be what your baby needs.. Another way to get rid of night time bottles is to dilute the bottles with water each night, until the bottle is nothing but water. Or lessen the amount in the bottle each night. Hope that helps! Also, do you have the same nightly routine? What time are you putting him to bed? Are his naps regular?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Ashley, 24, wife to Tony, mother to 4 furbabies,Jesus follower, mother to my first baby boy, Alexander, BFing momma, cloth diapering, circumcising,pro- life ,vaccinating, and learning as I go.
judith0607
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM

He doesn't get a bottle everytime he wakes up...even though he wants one. he just wants something to suck on but he will not take a pacifer. can do the cry it out method cause he will cry until he gets sick so that doesn't work...believe me i have tried..i just want sleep and him waking up as efforten as he does i'm lucky to get three hours a night. he has some what a regular schedule but it just depends on him whether he sticks to it or not. i try to have him in bed by 10:30. he gets a bath at 9.

Dawnee29
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM

My mother she has had 5 kids. 3 of them boys & she was telling me that none of them slept thru the nite until they were between the ages of 9mo & 1yr!!!

mexicomom
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Try putting him to sleep earlier.  My almost 6-month ds wakes up to eat between 2:30 - 3:30 every night, regardless of the time he falls to sleep.  So if you put him down an hour earlier, that's an extra hour of sleep.  Plus, sleep experts say putting a baby to sleep earlier makes them sleep later.

ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM

His bedtime is way too late. Try for 7-8 pm. Are you just letting him cry, or are you checking on him? Throwing up can be a side effect on cry it out...it won't last forever. How long did you stick with it?

Quoting judith0607:

He doesn't get a bottle everytime he wakes up...even though he wants one. he just wants something to suck on but he will not take a pacifer. can do the cry it out method cause he will cry until he gets sick so that doesn't work...believe me i have tried..i just want sleep and him waking up as efforten as he does i'm lucky to get three hours a night. he has some what a regular schedule but it just depends on him whether he sticks to it or not. i try to have him in bed by 10:30. he gets a bath at 9.

Ashley, 24, wife to Tony, mother to 4 furbabies,Jesus follower, mother to my first baby boy, Alexander, BFing momma, cloth diapering, circumcising,pro- life ,vaccinating, and learning as I go.
judith0607
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM

he goes to bed late cause when he finally stops waking up every three hours and going back to sleep its almost 11 so his bed time is not late if you look at it that way. he won't go to sleep if you let him cry and he gets sick....sorry not up for having to change clothes and sheets when i'm trying to get him to sleep plus it will just make him hungry.

ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Well..I guess what I advice I offered just isn't going to help. Good luck.

Quoting judith0607:

he goes to bed late cause when he finally stops waking up every three hours and going back to sleep its almost 11 so his bed time is not late if you look at it that way. he won't go to sleep if you let him cry and he gets sick....sorry not up for having to change clothes and sheets when i'm trying to get him to sleep plus it will just make him hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)