Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rolling baby

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 366 Total Views

My preemie grandson is 5 months old now and has learned to roll over but can't yet maneuver his arms from under him.  I'm afraid he'll suffocate himself in the middle of the night in his crib. Right now he's still in a bassinet...only for my piece of mind. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QTpie1
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 7:23 PM

My 4 month old has learned to roll over so to avoid her rolling in the night I have placed two rolled up towels on either side of her. This way when she tries to roll over you can't get all the way.  They sell wedges to this effect but I've found rolled towels to work just the same.

virginiagirl9
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into the wedges since he's a strong little man and would more than likely push the towel or a blanket away.

Chloesmom47
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Rolling over is part of a baby's normal development.  The night time is usually when baby practices his/her new moves!    My 7 month old started to roll in her sleep when she was about 4 months old.  Now, she is all over the crib!  I used to go check on her every hour or so to make sure she was ok.  Believe me, she'll cry out if she gets stuck or uncomfortable!  Just be sure you aren't swaddling baby anymore so his hands stay free to help him roll back if he wishes.  Sleep sacks are nice because the arms are free but rest of baby is bundled up.  Good luck!

CatFan
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Once a baby is strong enough to roll over it's safe for them to sleep on their tummy.  My little guy slept much better once he was able to roll to his tummy. 

Peregrine
by on Nov. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM

When a baby is strong enough to roll over they can also turn their heads to avoid suffication.  It's part of their development.  If you put a bunch of towels or even a wedge thing in the crib with him, you give him something else to get tangled up in.

kailu1835
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I would be considered a bad mom, because during the first month, I was willing to try anything to get my babies to sleep.  Sometimes that meant that the only way to put them down after falling asleep in my arms was to manuever them onto the bed or couch on their tummies.  Both my babies had pretty good neck control though, and after watching them like a hawk the first few times I relaxed.  I didn't have them sleeping on blankets that could get bunched up though, because accidents do happen.  I didn't do that for night time though, because I probably would have been getting out of bed every 15 minutes to check on them out of sheer worry. 

If you're worried about it, there's a crib thing that has a piece of material between two hard rolls.  You put the baby down between the rolls on the material, and wala!  No rolling.

virginiagirl9
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM

The wedge didn't work so I now have a changing table mat.  Going to try him sleeping on that in the crib but awake he can almost manuever over it.  Has anyone tried those "breathable" bumpers?  That may make a difference for my concerns about him rolling. 

goddess_alyson
by Group Owner on Dec. 5, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Rolling is a developmental milestone so inhibiting it, even at night, might not been the best for your grandson.  Trust me if he gets stuck, he'll cry.  If you're concerned about him getting stuck in the crib rails the bumpers may be what you need.

CassieAF
by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Rolling is a good thing!  I'm going to agree with a bunch of the others and say that if he is rolling then he is ready to sleep on his tummy.  He doesn't have to be able to move his arms...just his neck.  I would suggest not putting stuff in the crib with him...this just increases his chances of getting caught up and suffocating.  Congrats on your little man's milestone!

virginiagirl9
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Just a head's up on my rolling LO.  I placed a huge rolled blanket in the crib to section it off and it's working.  Recently I found a crib spacer on a website which does the same thing and can also divide twins in the same crib.  It is a lifesaver!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)