Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else's baby wake up repeatedly in the first couple of hours?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 886 Total Views

I'm wondering if anyone else's baby does this.

My baby is seven months old. It usually isn't too difficult to put her to sleep at night, but then she'll wake up ten minutes later, half an hour later, etc. for the first couple of hours. It's frustrating because I'll be trying to do a bedtime routine with my toddler. I usually nurse the baby back to sleep, or rock her, but then she wakes up again shortly afterwards. After the first couple of hours, she will sleep for several hours at a time (but needs to be nursed back to sleep when she wakes up).

Is this because I co-sleep and she knows that I'm not in bed with her? Or could it be gas because I am feeding her too much at bedtime? At this stage is the night nursing interfering with her getting a decent sleep?

My older child (toddler) did this too. She grew out of it on her own eventually.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess_alyson
by Group Owner on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Sounds like a self-soothing issue.  Does your LO use a paci?  That may help get her to put herself back to sleep when she's waking so she won't be so dependent on nursing.

I don't think you're feeding her too much at bedtime.  Nursed babies can't be overfed.  If you're concerned about gas give her a few gas drops after a nursing session and see if that helps her settle down.

Also, are you drinking any caffeine?  That could also contribute since you do nurse.  Just a thought.

MidnightRambler
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Thanks very much for the tips! She has never liked pacifiers but I could try again. I normally only have one caffeinated drink first thing in the morning, but over the holidays I made too many "exceptions" when people came over for coffee or when we had chocolate around - I will cut that out now and see if it makes any difference.

milwamollymommy
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM

instead of directly nursing, pump and feed the baby a mixture of breastmilk and a bit of ceral, i just used a fastflow nipple, and just like a tablespoone of ceral right in the bottle, this keeps my 7 month old asleep, much longer,

goddess_alyson
by Group Owner on Jan. 7, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Caffeine takes a couple of days to get out of your system and I think you will notice a big difference once it's completely gone.

It could also be a co-sleeping issue because she's nice and snuggly warm with you and then you get her completely asleep and lay her down and she may be getting cold and doesn't feel secure.  Maybe try a heating pad warmed up and then turned off so that she doesn't go to bed in a cold bed.  Also at 7 mo. you could try to CIO but I know that'd be difficult with a toddler but she is old enough that it wouldn't hurt her.

Also, how is she napping during the day?  Does she nap at home or daycare?  If she's napping well during the day it may just be a habit that she's gotten herself in and CIO may be your only option to end it.

sbrowning
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM

my 5 1/2 mo old does the same thing. I get him to sleep & every half hour he wakes up & the only way to get him back to sleep is by nursing him. I have no milk left so I know it's just comfort but he will not take a paci.. What happens if one night I'm not there when he wakes? Myhusband will be in trouble..I've thought about cio but I really don't think I can do that! I know he will cry for hours & I couldn't bear it!! After the 3rd or 4th time waking he will sleep through  the night thank goodness.. I don't know what to do..

pattyaq
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I bet it is because you co-sleep.  God knows that I have the exact same problem.  My guy is already 19months and he still wakes up within two hours of going down and I have to go lay with him until he falls back asleep.  I agree with the others about the self soothing.  I don't have any suggestions, since I am in the same boat.  Good luck!

CassieAF
by on Jan. 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Is it possible that your little one is still having the Moro Reflex - the self startle reflex?  Most babies grow out of it by 5 or 6 mths, but all babies are different.  If you think this could be the case you might want to try a swaddling blanket.  I really like the Halo brand because we were able to remove the swaddle part and still have the sleepsack...which sounds like it would be ideal for you since you won't be needing the swaddle for much longer.  Hope this helps:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)