Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help...4 AM awakening!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

My 10 month old is waking up between 4 and 5 AM every morning and we would like for him to sleep until 6:30 or 7 AM.  He is not waking up hungry, just wanting to play.  He takes 2 1.5 hr naps a day and goes to be around 8 pm.  We have tried limiting nap time and that didn't help.  We have tried putting him down later and he still wakes up at the same time.  We have tried letting him cry it out in the mornings, but he'll sream for more than an hour and I can't take it any more....it makes me feel so horrible.  But, I am so exhausted and so is my husband.  Help, any advice?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jacobsmom707
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM

When your baby wakes at that time, what do you normally do?  I would recommend having as little interaction with him as possible.  My son often woke in the early morning hours in need of a diaper change, so that's when I started buying him Huggies Overnight diapers.  If you haven't yet switched to them, do so ASAP - they are a godsend.  Anyway, I would say do change his diaper in the dark (if you are able and not using overnights), don't speak to him, give him a bottle/nurse him if needed, and then put him back down to play on his own.  Toss in a stuffed animal and then leave.  That way you know that he is physically comfortable, full, and has something to occupy him when you go.  We have a Homemedics light projector that I often turn on when he wakes in the middle of the night and cannot go back to sleep.  I just turn it on, pat his back, give him his "Freddy the Frog" stuffed animal, replace his binky, and then go.  He whines for a bit, but the projector usually keeps his attention until he falls back to sleep.  The cool part is that it has a projector has a timer and it will turn off after 15/30/45 or 60 minutes.  It's a great investment!

leahjoy
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM

jacobsmom had some great ideas.  Most important is to remember to keep things calm & quiet when he wakes up and remind him that it is still bedtime.  Rock him or soothe him some other way, and keep trying to put him back down, until it has reached a reasonable hour, and THEN get him up.  Eventually, this should let his body know that it's not wake-up time, and he should start sleeping later again.  If you give up and let him get up at 5, he will get used to being up at that time, and may never switch back to sleeping later.

agape2
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM

My 5 months old is doing exactly the same thing! We tried putting to bed earlier, later, leaving in the crib for up to 30 min, but he just is done sleeping- nothing you can do~! So I put him in the swing in front of Baby Einstein DVD and nap on the couch... Sucks, but hopefully it's just a phase.

Princesa769
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM

what we did was cute her nap time down. her first nap when or if she slept would be 1hr -2 then her 2nd nap a half hr, then down at 8-830. or if she's really tired at 730. it depends on her naps. sometime she won't take a morning nap and just afternoon nap. she doesn't like to sleep long during the day. but i'd rather have her sleep through the night.

MamaCoun
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

My 11 month old is doin the same thing but he is not takin a nap during the day and not goin bed til 9-12. I am dryd and dnt have no help. My husband works off tue- friday he usually hme friday nite til early tue morinin. But he has left to go clean up after the snow storm and get power back on and everything. Well I have got to the point were I have bn putting Noah n his room n his travel crib givn him his bottle, blanket, and singin seahorse. I  then put him a cartoon on at 1st he would cry and whine for 35-45 min. But last nite was the 3rd or 4th time he cryd for bout 10-15 min then he was out he got up at 8:30 had a nap at 11 so I think im goin start put him n his room and doin this every nite so do you moms think this is good to do. I feel so bad to let him cry his self to sleep but the time has got shorter tht he lays there and crys.

Noah's Mommy and Shawn's Wifedo not disturb

LosGatosMom
by on Feb. 2, 2009 at 4:35 PM

My 8 mo old does the same thing and I am trying to deal with it in the following way. 1) When she wakes at 5am I go in, tell her it is still "night night" time and pat her back, 2) we have a little CD player in her room to help her go to sleep, and I turn this on, 3) I put a few of her soft toys in her crib for her to play with if she wants to play, 4) then I turn and leave the room, closing her door tight (there is a night light in her room at all times). She usually cries -- she used to cry for an hour (until I am willing to get up at 6am). I just put ear plugs in my ears and take it -- telling myself she is OK because I have just checked on her. I REFUSE to wake up prior to 6am.

Now, however, we are starting to make progress (took about 2 weeks). Today, she only cried for 5 or so minutes. Then she talked to herself quietly for awhile and then fell asleep again until 6:30am. At 6:30, I walk in with a happy face, talking to her animatedly, turn on the light right away, etc. so she knows it is the right time to wake up. Babies have an internal clock and it takes awhile to reset it.

Hope it helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)