Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nap time and ferber

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 368 Total Views

I ferberized my 2 1/2 year old when she was 9mths. It worked great she is the best sleeper ever.  I babysit a little girl who is now 81/2 mths and doesn't not go down well for naps at all her mom normally lets her fall asleep on the bottle or in her arms and then puts her down. I don't have the time for this seeing as I have other children in my care.  Would it be horrible for  me to use the ferber method for her during nap times? I can tell she's tired and I have let her cry herself down a couple times when I just had no other choice.  When I've rocked or fed her down I'm lucky to get a 20 min. nap from her, the couple times she cried herslef down she sleep for 30-45 min.  What are your thoughts?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jjmloper
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:02 PM

She may need to be on a different nap schedule.  If your having her take two naps a day switch it to one.  Before letting her cio I would talk to her mom about it and see how she feels and if there are any other ways to get her down.  Try putting her down in the crib with a bottle and seeing if she'll fall asleep while eating alone.  Also talk to her mom about her sleep routine at home.  She may be getting to bed too late or getting up too early. 

indianavettech
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM

She takes two naps on the weekends at home and would never last the morning without. She's just way to tired by 9/ 9:30.  Do to the parents schedule I don't see them putting her to bed earlier or sleeping later.  I will talk to her mom before useing dr. febers method, but I thought I'd get some opinions on here.  Thank you for your input.

jjmloper
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Maybe you could try one day without putting her down until noon and see if she will just pass out on her own.  Worst case shes just super tired and passes out faster in the crib at noon.

leahjoy
by Group Admin on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I think you are right in wanting to continue with 2 naps for her.  If she is exhausted by 9 or 9:30, I would guess that keeping her up any longer will only cause her to become over-tired, which could make your problem worse.  I agree that you should dicuss Ferber with her parents before trying it.  They may be open to it.  Be honest with them about what you feel you are/aren't capable of handling during your busy day.  If they really want someone who can take the time to go through a naptime routine with her, then you might  not be the right care provider for them.

indianavettech
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Quoting leahjoy:

I think you are right in wanting to continue with 2 naps for her.  If she is exhausted by 9 or 9:30, I would guess that keeping her up any longer will only cause her to become over-tired, which could make your problem worse.  I agree that you should dicuss Ferber with her parents before trying it.  They may be open to it.  Be honest with them about what you feel you are/aren't capable of handling during your busy day.  If they really want someone who can take the time to go through a naptime routine with her, then you might  not be the right care provider for them.

Thank you for your input...I agree with the overtired thing and will deff. talk to her folks about ferber.  Thank you to everyone who's tried to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)