Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here...need advice!!!! kinda long but PLEASE read!!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

hey all i'm new around here and need advice!!! my son will be 10months on the 4th. well around 2 1/2 month he would sleep thro the night (9pm-6am) then right around 4 months he stop and started fighting sleep big time. the only way he would fall to sleep was if we rocked him. well now hes 10 months old and refuese to go to sleep even tho he's very tierd by 10pm he will fight it till midnight sometimes even till 2 or 3am. we r desprite to get him on a good sleep schuled befor our 2nd child is born (due july 10th!!) we would ideally like to be able to put him down at 9:30 and have him sleep till about 8. how can i do this? when we let him "cry it out" he gets histracal to the point were he gets the hicups.  any tips? also he REFUSES to nap more than 20 min during the day and will end up takeing a long nap around 4 or 5pm (2hrs). any tips on how to push that nap back to say noon? please any help is greatly welcome and thank you for bearing with me and reading this did not mean for it to be so long. thanks ladies!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chenoa2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM

BUMP ANYONE PLEASE NEED HELP!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
leahjoy
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the sleep issues you are dealing with.  I'm sure it is exhausting!   (By the way, I am due July 12th with my second!)   It sounds to me like the problem is that he is over-tired.   He doesn't nap all day, and then when he crashes around 4, he is re-charged for a long night of keeping you up.  The ideal bedtime for a child his age is between 7 and 8, so that is the timeframe you want to be shooting for.  He should also be taking 2 naps a day, one at about 1.5 to 2 hours after he wakes up, and another a few hours after that.  You'll never want to let him sleep past about 4, b/c that is when you run into more bedtime troubles. 

So, how to get him on that schedule?   If you don't already have a bedtime routine, start one.  This should consist of the same elements every night.  For example, with my son it's always been bath, change, quiet play with low lighting, and then read a few books in the rocking chair, and off to bed.  As far as the naps go, you will want to have a shortened version of that bedtime routine to do that cues him that it is time for sleep.   For my son, it's just the reading a few books in the rocking chair.  I would start trying to get him on a better schedule by doing these routines at the same time every day, and stick with it until he finally goes to sleep.  It may take a while, but eventually, him body should get used to sleeping at the same time every day and he will start going down easier for bed and naps.  Good luck!

LovinMyScout88
by on May. 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM

i would say when he naps around like 4 or 5 i would wake him up after like a half hour and try and keep him busy and put him down at like 9, or so and see how that works sorry if its not much help i have finally  turned to the cry it out method

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)