Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding is a good idea..... Until night time!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

I thought breastfeeding my baby was a good idea but this is all she seems to want to do especially at night.  I am new to the group and have been reading a lot of the posts.  My daughter is about to turn 7 months old and I am the one that gets to get up at night because I nurse her.  Now I am working one day a week and I am a nurse and feel like I should get  a little rest before work but this is not happening.  She is teething also and is having huge seperation anxiety but only towards me.  Will not even go to dad without crying big.  To make matters worse my husband just hands her back to me when she does this.  One night when I asked him to get up with her to give her a bottle so I could sleep he complained and I think even cursed so of course she got mad.  So as of the lately I have just been putting her in the bed with me because this is the only way I can get any sleep.  I have tried routine with her and try to be consistant but I do believe in responding to her needs but I think now she is smart enough she knows I will come and get her when she cries at night.  Anyone with any suggestions that have not been mentioned?  Even though I am sleep deprived though I will continue to breastfeed.  I feel it is important and did not get to do it with my first one.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
leahjoy
by Group Admin on Jul. 6, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Don't worry - breastfeeding isn't your problem.  Although breastfed babies DO generally take longer to sleep through the night than formula-fed babies, they don't still have to be getting up during the night every hour at this age.  You are not alone in deciding that the easiest solution is to just latch her on in your bed and go back to sleep.  I did that with my son until he was about 3 months, at which time we transitioned him to his crib.  At that point, he would still wake up 2, 3 or sometimes more times a night to nurse, but once he was sleeping on his own, he DID sleep for longer periods in between feedings.  If you would liek to get her transitioned to her own bed, it's probably best to wait until this period of separation anxiety passes b/c then you will have more success.  The way to do it is to begin doing her nighttime routine in her own room (you can start that now!).   Get her used to being in her room at bedtime. Then, when you feel she is ready, begin trying to put her down in her crib after you feed her (while she is drowsy, but NOT asleep).  Most likely, she will begin to fuss and cry, in which case you can pick her up and soothe (continue feeding, rock her, whatever works), and then try again once she appears drowsy again.  The first few nights this make take several tries after each time she wakes during the night, so prepare yourself for a couple of long nights, but you should find that over time she begins to go down easier in her own crib. 

Tell hubby that you really need his involvement.  The fact that he hands her off to you as soon as she cries is only making the situation works.  She thinks he has no ability to soothe her (and he obviously does too), but just b/c you are breastfeeding doesn't mean he is useless.  Most likely you probably find that all she ever wants from you is to nurse, while he has a wide range of options.  Encourage him to try.  You will need his help when you go through those tough nights of moving her to her own bed.  Good luck!

mharless
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Hi Lexi,

I don't have any answers to your problem, but just wanted to let you know how much I identify with you.  I have a 9 month-old daughter that is breastfed and is waking up every 2 hours (or sooner) and demands to be nursed.  She sleeps inbetween my husband and myself so that I can nurse her without having to go get her.  She too will only be comforted by the breast.  I am sooooo sleep-deprived!  My husband is unable to console her (though he only tries if I ask when I'm totally exhausted).  I too am a nurse who works 1 day per week.  The only thing I have figured out as a possible solution is that she just went for her 9-month checkup and we found out she was slightly iron-deficient.  I checked into this today and read that babies can have sleep issues if they are anemic.  I started her on a supplement today and am hoping that she will begin sleeping better soon.  Good luck with your little night-waker!

lexi09
by on Jul. 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM

thanks for the reply.  IT helps to know there are others.  We now have had some other issues this week.  She has been running a fever and for the past two nights will not even try and lay down.  Poor baby!  She seems to not feel well but is not  having bowel problems or throwing up.  She is not pulling on her ears and now has her two little teeth.  Poor baby, but poor sleep deprived me.

MumFerg
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Would consider a supplement formula?  Or pump BM to have DH give her?  My DD was premie so we ended up having to supplement by bottle, and it surprisingly worked out well for us because she was able to be fed by her dad and bond with him, espically on days I worked. 

Another trick that I did was I would BF her and than give her a few ounce of formula afterwards and she seemed to sleep a few extra hours.  We still had to wake up 2-3 am for a feeding, but that was it.  And sometimes I would just do that in bed while we both slept.

Good luck.

WIOSM Sizzlin' Summer Challenge

xotee2006
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM

as in pp.. pump but try starting to have dad feed her bottles during the day.  so she'll start having a bond with him.  my son always favorited the parent that stayed home.  when he was younger i stayed home.. he favorited me. as he got older i got a job, and then my hubby got layed off so he favorited him.   im breastfeeding now but my daughter is 2 1/2 months.  i pump once a dayb/c i give her her vitamins with milk (if we give it to her by dropper, she screams and gags) so if my hubby is home i have him feed her the bottle.  and if i'm nursing her and he's home i have him burp her, little things so he can help out and get a bong too.   try having ur hubby start doing little things to get a bond   and hopefully she'll feel comfortable enough after a lil and let dad feed her a bottle at night.                             but my daughter sleeps in her crib from 8:30pm-5ish am  and then when she wakes up i bring her in bed with me, i find it easier to nurse!  goodluck

mclaughlinnat31
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I am going thought the same night time issues. My son is 7 mos and he thinks i'm an all night diner. when he was a newborn he fequently slept though the night,but not any more. Last night he did not go down to bed until 2 am. Every time i puit him in bed(after he had fallen asleep at the breast) he would scream, and scream. I don't want to let him cry it out and it is wearing on my nerves. he wakes several times a night and ends up in bed w/ me for the duration. he does  unfortuatly have eczema and could be teething but i'm not sure. I feel for all who are going thourght the same thing.

sweetzoe227
by on Jul. 22, 2009 at 2:34 AM

I keep telling myself that this will pass......before I know it she won't be attached to me (literally) and I'll miss the days of us cosleeping due to BF, but man sometimes I feel I made a big mistake letting her sleep with me as she wanted to BF all nite! My baby is 5 months & my mom-in-law was here yesterday as my sweet baby screamed her head off only wanting me...provoking my in-law to tell me "don't let her have the upper hand!" I wanted to scream, then tell her to quit talking so loud..as anywhere I went in the home, her voice was echoing..anyway...I love my baby, and want to meet her needs...I guess I will be having some really rough nites when I actually try to keep her in her crib...until then I will keep wishing & praying she justs transitions to her own bed, one nite all of a sudden, can you beieve it my baby slept all nite in her bed! So many of you I felt as if I wrote your posts...take care my sisters....     :)

NewNProud
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I have some serious sleep issues starting.  I have two awesome boys: Xander is 3 years old and Logan is 7 months.  They share a room and Logan has recently decided to wake up every two hours and cries hysterically until I breastfeed him and then he will go back to sleep.  I don't want him to keep eating in the middle of the night and I can't  let him cry himself to sleep b/c then I will have two screaming.  I desperately need a solution before I go crazy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)