Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby won't sleep on his back!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 7075 Total Views

I'm a new Mom and new to this site.  Derek is about 6 1/2 weeks old and will not sleep on his back.  I am terrified of the increased risk of SIDS for babies that sleep on their tummies, but I don't know what to do.  I tried to put him to sleep in a a positioner, but he startles and wakes up.  AND...he HATES to be swaddled!  What should I do?

by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MNilsen
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM

My son never slept well on his back but I pretty much broke all the roles the peditricians tell you.  My son spent the first two months sleepig in a bouncey seat because they thought he had reflux then we coslept because i had a low milk supply.  From the time he could roll over, he has been sleeping on his belly.  I have had friends with the same problem and the first thing most of them did was talk to their pediatrician.  You can also take precautions if you can't get your baby to sleep on his back.  First, does he have any risk factors that would increase the chance of him suffering from SIDS?  The Mayo clinic outlines the risk factors http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sudden-infant-death-syndrome/ds00145/dsection=risk-factors.

If he oly sleeps on his belly, try some of these things ot reduce the risk... no blankets, don't overdress him, firm crib mattressm (most are), breathable bumper.reduce environmental tabacco smoke (if there is any), no pillows or stuffed animals, moderate room temperature, and a pacifier.  Also a study recently came out that said having a fan on (or open window) can help reduce the risk of SIDs...

Sorry if this is not at all helpful...

aehanrahan
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

My babies slept best on their sides until they could hold up and turn their heads on their own.  It is ok for a baby to sleep on their tummy once they can control their head to prevent suffocation.  A lot of babies sleep better on their tummies.

SamaMom
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Hi Jen - I had the same problem.  My baby just turned 6 weeks so it seems like we're on the same path.  We, too, tried to sleep positioner.  It worked for 2 nights.  Then for about 3 weeks, she slept on my chest.  Of course I know how dangerous this is but it was the only way she'd sleep.  I saw her peditrician who asked about her sleeping habits.  Of course I was scolded.  She said we had to get her sleeping alone and one her back or side.  The side is just scary to me - even if you put something up against their back to secure them.  I was looking at my friends picture of her baby and the baby was laying in the boppy pillow with her head elevated on the boppy and her body laying on the bed.  I tried this that afternoon for nap and it worked!  That night, we did the same thing and put the boppy in our bed between me and my husband.  We have been doing this for about a week and it's working brilliantly.  She's not flat on her back so she doesn't startle (similar to free falling they say).  This is just what has worked for me - I hope you have good luck! 

lilEsmommy
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM

My 5!/2 week old is not fond of sleeping on her back either. In fact, she's not happy about going to sleep at all. The only way she will sleep soundly in on her tummy. It may be a rule breaker, but when you're ready to join her in the crying battle, you do whatever works. I watch her closely until shes at that limp sound asleep stage and then I roll her over usually to her side because she has a lite case of acid reflux. She moves her head side to side and is able to hold it up on her own for quite a while. On my shoulder I've seen her bury her nose and then move to breathe better when she was almost asleep, I still worry but I keep telling myself she's ok.

tiniowien
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM

i let my Ona sleep on her tummy from the time she was born basicly. we co slept until just a few weeks ago. let him sleep on ur chest if you must at least you know hes breathing than. thats what i did i slept in the middle of the bed with the sides blocked off i used pillows to hold my arms up. than i started with on my chest until she passed out than moved her to the bed. than just started putting her in the bed from the beginning and let her put her self down. than just a couple weeks ago did that in her crib. she sleeps from 10p until 7 or 8a some times 10a.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
leahjoy
by Group Admin on Aug. 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM

With my sons, I've tried putting them in a swaddle on their sides (angled more toward their back, so that if they rolled, it would be onto their back) and lean them up against the side of the crib or co-sleeper, and this helped them to feel less like they were just flat on their backs.

jambam1129
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Your fears are justified. For one your a new mom...and I was the same way.  I rolled a small thin baby blanket and placed it behind her back and one in front of her stomach. This way she is sleeping on her side and she wont roll forward or backward.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)