Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bf questions

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 168 Total Views

Hello,

I havea  2yr old son i could not bf b/c of the heart meds and liver meds I had to take during and after the pregnancy. Thankfully, my team and I (I am a level 3 pregnancy) are working on changing meds so i can bf. I don't know where to begin. I need to learn everything and anyhting. No one on my family has ever bf and my family does not support it so it will be hubby and I entirely. I was looking for some good books to read on advice. what do i need to purchase before hand to have at home? How di know the correct latching positions? How do I know if the baby is latching? How do i know if the baby is getting enough? I also have lg breast before my pregnancy i am 135lbs and 36D and after my son I was EE (like christina aguilera) will this hinder me?

Any advice is helpful!

thanks,

Steph

by on Oct. 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mamapowell
by Group Owner on Oct. 29, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Here is a helpful link for all of your Q&A

http://www.lactationconnection.com/questions.htm

timsmom507
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM

i went to a lactation cousant. the "football" hold worked for my son. he didn't like the other postions, so it's the football hold for my little future football player. lol.

you don't need much just your boobies. only a handful in my family bf and none of my friends. i'm a bit of a free spirit so they knew i would bf. i did it at the thanksgiving table as we were all eatting. i lifted up my shirt, undid my nursing bra (a must) and he went to town.

it does take a bit to get comfortable. i thought i was going to be easy, i was wrong but now we are doing great.

good luck! you're making a good choice.

Stamatina79
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM

It takes patience and persistance. Don't give up.  The first couple of weeks are the hardest and after that, its a breeze.  I like the book..."The womanly art of Breastfeeding."  make sure you trust your body to do what it is intended to do because once the idea of failure gets into your head, its hard to get out and will make you crazy.. DO NOT SUPPLEMENT WITH FORMULA! I can't stress that enough! Doing so will dimish your milk supply and if you are out and the baby if fed expressed breastmilk from a bottle, you have to pump in place of that feeding anyway to keep supply up.  No bottles or pacifiers in the first 6 weeks, the baby latches on different than with the breast and it can confuse her.   Good luck! you're doing the best thing you can for your baby.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)